Low Water Pressure in Kitchen Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howaboutme

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any advice on where to trouble shoot?

I have this faucet. It has been loosing pressure for a while. At first, I detached the head unit (not sure what it's called) and clean the parts/screen, etc. They weren't even dirty as I didn't see any sediment. That really didn't help. Should I look at replacing the valve?

Thanks!

If it is the same flow whether cold or hot or bot are used it is usually the aerator. Replace with new. If that doesn't fix there could be a blockage internally. If there is a spray hose, where the hose connects there are check valves that can get clogged.

If it is the same flow whether cold or hot or bot are used it is usually the aerator. Replace with new. If that doesn't fix there could be a blockage internally. If there is a spray hose, where the hose connects there are check valves that can get clogged.
Thank you.

Just to clarify, is #1 or #2 the aerator?

1727609563888.png

Just to be efficient, is this the connection point? What would be replaced?

1727609726184.png

Thanks!

Please allow me to join this conversation. With your faucet the item to clean is #1 in your drawing, above. It should comprise a rubber washer (outer ring) enclosing a fairly fine mesh metal screen. That screen is there to catch particles before they get into the spray head (item #2). So make certain that the screen in item #1 is completely clean.

If the screen is already clean, or if the flow doesn't improve after your clean it, I would test the flow with items #1 and #2 removed. If the flow is still low with them removed, then the problem is in or just downstream of the mixing valve (below where the handle attaches to the faucet) and not in items 1 or 2. It will be more complicated to fix (and beyond my level of assistance).

If, however, flow rate still low with a clean screen (#1) and spray head (#2) attached, but high with items 1 and 2 removed, then the problem is in the spray head. I would try removing it and submerging it in a glass of vinegar overnight to soften and possibly remove any lime deposits. Move it around in the vinegar to try to allow any internal air to escape. In the morning reassemble the parts and run water through them in both the spray and single stream modes to rinse out the vinegar and flush loosened deposits. If that fixed it, good. If not, then I'd replace item #2.

Good luck.

Back