Low water pressure, city water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryB

Reaction score
We've lived in this area for 11 years, but in this particular house for just 1yr 3 months. Failure of the shower tiles and subsequent leaking into the subfloor of the master bath has led to other issues, one of which is low water pressure.

Pressure coming into the house, basement, is 46psi. Pressure on second story is about 34psi. Water district guarantees a min. of 40psi where it enters the home, so whatever resolution we take is our **.

With the remodel of our master bath, we want to add body sprays along with shower heads and I'm reading that water pressure needs to be 55-60psi.

The first thing I did this past Saturday was to install a new PRV. No change in pressure which lead me to contact the water utility and I found out the following:

The issue stems from 1984 when the house was built. There are 2 main lines and the builder chose to tap into the one on our side of the street which runs at 50psi. The main on the opposite side of the street runs at about 80-85psi.

Option 1 is to tap into the other main, pay new tap fees, permits for tearing up the asphalt road, etc., could run $2,500 or more.

Option 2 - As I understand it, add a booster pump and pressure tank.

Other items to consider:

Supply line coming into the house is 1" copper which feeds the water meter. Immediately after the water meter, line is reduced to 3/4".

Also, line comes in to home, water meter and PRV are behind a finished wall in one daughters closet. Easy access to piping, water heaters is on the opposite side of the house.

Stupid design.

Any other options, suggestions, insights is greatly appreciated.

Pump station will require maintenance. Go for the new line to the 80 psi supply.
keep the old line as back up maybe.
Remove the prv. It's a reducing valve only to protect you from high water pressure.

Back