Lime-a-way Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends how long it sat with the anode. Was it diluted, or full strength? How much did you use? Unless it was a huge amount over a long period, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I may have eaten a bit of the anode, but they can usually be replaced if necessary.

The bigger question I have is why would you use Lime Away inside the water heater?

He said he was too lazy to open and remove anode so he took out relief valve and poured down only 1 gallon of lime-a-way in an 80 gallon tank in bottom of tank to sit for 2hrs. It was sitting right at drain valve (hopefully right below anode). Then filled / flush/ fill/flush 7-10 times. Then he opened hot water out of every facet in house for 1 hour min.

I'm going to meet him this morning over there. They said they were still getting lime-a-way smell and water is a little milky. So we are going to flush til clear. If no clear, then start sucking out of bottom of tank.

Any other tips would be appreciated. We are just journeyman plumbers who usually only do new work and never encountered this.

Pouring chemicals into a potable water source? I myself would replace it completely and really hope the chemicals did no further damage to the valves and entire plumbing lines.

Well, that is STate Water Heaters Official Method for a deep cleaning of their glass gas tank heaters. Call them and ask them.

I will research on the internet as well as be in contact with my local State rep. Havasu has pointed out a very important issue and is correct. Hot water is also considered part of the potable water system. Cleaning the tank and changing the anode have different relationships. The anode cannot be preserved through a tank cleaning. If it is bad, it needs to be changed. Look at it this way...If your car's fuel filter goes bad, can you fix it by adding an octane booster and fuel treatment. The part is still bad.
Maybe there are some details in the procedure that were missed, but I would never add a chemical such as lime away into any potable water source.
A long 3-5 minute flush, as well as an anode change, is all that I will recommend to clean a tank.
Maybe you should also contact State and ask if they know a way to purge the system of the chemical. I could only think that a gallon of it will take a long time and lots of water to clear and I don't believe that it would just settle at the bottom of the tank like a lead weight. It will mix with the water.
Sometimes we learn the hard way. I know that was case for me and many other plumbers in the past. Good luck.

Back