Leaking hand basin tap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleks356

Reaction score
Hi, I have a hand basin tap that leaks, I used to be able to fix it just by replacing the little plunger with the rubber o-ring on the bottom of it.

then after a few years, I also needed to re-grind the seat(where the plunger seals onto.

This trick has stopped working and when I remove the rubber plunger, it is always badly damaged.

I decided to use a drill with the plumbers grinding tool attached to it so I could grind the seat abit better and faster than by hand and upon finishing it looks like it’s going to do the trick but I noticed a small split in the base, please look at the object circled in blue, is this normal, is it some kind of bleed etc because I think this is what keeps slicing my rubber o-ring seals up!

Not leaking now as it’s freshly ground plus it’s got a new plunger with rubber o-ring but I figure that once the rubber o-ring gets damaged only after a few days use it will leak again.

Also, to turn the tap off, I have to really turn it hard until it can turn no more otherwise it leaks a few drops or a little stream still comes out.

Whereas the other tap next to it turns off immediately as soon as the knob starts turning a little hard. Does this mean something is worn like the seat and I may need like a thicker rubber o-ring to compensate for this??

any help appreciated.

Photo attached of “cut” object in seat
Circled in blue

Photo also attached of the tool that I use and have always used to grind the seat, although I now use on a drill for faster results instead of hand cranking it.

Attachments

• IMG_6192.jpeg
    IMG_6192.jpeg
    932.2 KB
  • IMG_6187.jpeg
    IMG_6187.jpeg
    470.4 KB
Last edited:
that last photo , is there a groove at the bottom of the seat ?
Yes it’s a grove, that’s what I meant to say, I just couldn’t think of the words to use, is this grove supposed to be there?, it’s quite deep as in I can clearly feel a screwdriver go in and stop on it when I poke around to see the depth etc.

The seat is deeply grooved by what's shown in the picture. Not repairable. New seat needed. If not replaceable new faucet required.

The seat is deeply grooved by what's shown in the picture. Not repairable. New seat needed. If not replaceable new faucet required.
Thankyou, I thought as much, really appreciate your help, I am wondering how it got grooved like that as it dosent just seem like a random crack or damage, it seems as though the groove has been deliberately and precisely cut although this seems impossible, I wonder what has done that, maybe a weak spot and it’s rusted out over the years. Thanks for your help

Water did it. Starts out as a slow drip from a worn washer, and over time the water wears away the brass creating the groove. If the drip gets fixed with a new washer quickly before the seat is damaged then the groove doesn't have time to start. This is why small drips can be a big deal.

Latest posts

Back