Leak at base of toilet...Wax ring failure, or a cracked toilet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANOTHER UPDATE:
TLDR: Crack in old toilet. He put in new Toto Entrada, which is most similar to my old one (AS Cadet3).

Owner just left. He pulled the toilet after I showed him the brown water paper towels and again, there was no water around. Definitely not leaking from the new wax seal installed last week. He said it was either condensation (which apparently is not always visible) or a crack in the toilet. He inspected the bottom and the sides of the toilet carefully but saw no crack. We decided one last ditch effort to re-install the toilet...

He put it back in and flushed a couple times. Could not feel or see any water. Put a couple paper towels around, and they showed water immediately, clear water this time not brown...

He concluded must be cracked toilet, most likely around the hole(?). I think that was the problem all along (not shifted wax seal) but he's not so sure. Anyway, he went out to get me a new toilet, he recommended Toto Entrada or Drake, round or elongated. Usually these decisions take me weeks but he said the Entrada was most like my old one AS Cadet3. Chose the elongated to better accommodate the bidet. Man, this thing is huge! The flush hole is tiny compared to the Cadet3! Anyway, fingers crossed no more leaks, I have PTSD from all this so the paper towels are still there and I'll keep checking for at least a day...

See attached for 'cracked' toilet. He said caulking the base (leaving the gap in the back) is required by code in our area but isn't needed for stability in my particular case. My floor is good. If I ever sell, I'll caulk, but I'm leaving it open for now to make the paper towel leak detection easier.

PS. He applied what I already paid towards his normal install fee for a new toilet. Good guy - not his fault the toilet was cracked but not visible. Welcome to the plumbing in my home lol.

@havasu Can you please delete the UPDATE in my original post? It wasn't the wax ring, thanks.

Attachments

• toilet leak cracked toilet.jpeg
    toilet leak cracked toilet.jpeg
    1.3 MB
Wipe the toilet bottom with food coloring then wipe the food coloring off with fresh water. If there’s a crack the dye will make it show up to your eye.

Wipe the toilet bottom with food coloring then wipe the food coloring off with fresh water. If there’s a crack the dye will make it show up to your eye.
What a cool idea! Too bad he already took the toilet with him or I'd do it. I'm curious where the crack actually was.

ANOTHER UPDATE:
TLDR: Crack in old toilet. He put in new Toto Entrada, which is most similar to my old one (AS Cadet3).

Owner just left. He pulled the toilet after I showed him the brown water paper towels and again, there was no water around. Definitely not leaking from the new wax seal installed last week. He said it was either condensation (which apparently is not always visible) or a crack in the toilet. He inspected the bottom and the sides of the toilet carefully but saw no crack. We decided one last ditch effort to re-install the toilet...

He put it back in and flushed a couple times. Could not feel or see any water. Put a couple paper towels around, and they showed water immediately, clear water this time not brown...

He concluded must be cracked toilet, most likely around the hole(?). I think that was the problem all along (not shifted wax seal) but he's not so sure. Anyway, he went out to get me a new toilet, he recommended Toto Entrada or Drake, round or elongated. Usually these decisions take me weeks but he said the Entrada was most like my old one AS Cadet3. Chose the elongated to better accommodate the bidet. Man, this thing is huge! The flush hole is tiny compared to the Cadet3! Anyway, fingers crossed no more leaks, I have PTSD from all this so the paper towels are still there and I'll keep checking for at least a day...

See attached for 'cracked' toilet. He said caulking the base (leaving the gap in the back) is required by code in our area but isn't needed for stability in my particular case. My floor is good. If I ever sell, I'll caulk, but I'm leaving it open for now to make the paper towel leak detection easier.

PS. He applied what I already paid towards his normal install fee for a new toilet. Good guy - not his fault the toilet was cracked but not visible. Welcome to the plumbing in my home lol.

@havasu Can you please delete the UPDATE in my original post? It wasn't the wax ring, thanks.
A quick zoom in and that crack is huge! Seems someone wrenched down the bolts a bit too hard.

Back