Is there a professional way to secure/stabilize PVC in the sand?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickFlorida

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Is there a good way to secure the PVC that comes straight out of ground to the pump? My set up is about 20 inches away from the house. We have very find sugar sand here by the beach so unless you have a real tamping machine, the sand moves a lot and occasionally I will be turning of a shut off valve that is connected to it. The pump being connected to it will keep it pretty stable from the right side (the horizontal piping to the pump). But I assume my PVC that is vertical that goes into the ground to the horizontal run to the well head will move quite a bit for a while after I throw 20 inches of sand back on it.

Are there stakes I can buy that will secure the horizontal 1 1/4 pipe in the dirt before I cover it up? This is my idea so far is to stake down the horizontal section of the PVC run that is 15 to 20 inches deep before it goes to the vertical pipe with the shut off (before the last horizontal turn to the pump).

Is there another way? I don't think you should put cement around it as it the vibrations of the PVC will then break the pipe against the concrete.

Try searching roof supports for piping rather than trying to explain there are pictures you can get a start there
Thanks, I'll check it out. My wall is at least 14 or 20 inches away and I like to be able to power wash it and paint it. (The hurricanes seem to always blow lots of small organic debris onto the walls and it has to be powerwashed each storm). But......if I could do just one skinny connection that might work. It just can't be galvanize steel. I think there are copper ones for plumbing? Thanks, I'll check it out.

I thought of a better idea you could buy a piece of ( painted or galvanized) " unistrut" and some 3/8 " threaded rod and nuts, dig a hole put a bucket/and cement in it put the unistrut in the cement and secure the pipe to the unistrut with f+m rings , when you mentioned hurican that other idea went out tje window,ypu may havr to replace tbs rode and nuts at some point but it would be secure

Too bad you don’t want switch over to pex before you come out of the ground.

IMO that’s the best way.

I thought of a better idea you could buy a piece of ( painted or galvanized) " unistrut" and some 3/8 " threaded rod and nuts, dig a hole put a bucket/and cement in it put the unistrut in the cement and secure the pipe to the unistrut with f+m rings , when you mentioned hurican that other idea went out tje window,ypu may havr to replace tbs rode and nuts at some point but it would be secure
Interesting idea actually. I have a local Grainger supply and have bought low priced pieces of threaded brass rod so I might do this, thanks!

Too bad you don’t want switch over to pex before you come out of the ground.

IMO that’s the best way.
Ah interesting idea. But how big does Pex go? The PVC I did is 2 inches in some places and 1 and 1/4 at the smallest. It's a 20 gallon a minute artesian well feed to a commercial grade cast iron beast of a pump. I guess I could do PEX for the T connection that goes to 1/2 inch top off supply to my pond. And how does PEX do in the blazing UV sunlight of Florida? Schedule 40 seems the minimum thickness I want to go so it will last and take abuse. If the well ever fails I will insist on schedule 80 for most of this part of the piping I'm talking about. Out of curiousity, do you recommend PEX for out of the ground because the pressed on connections will last longer than the glue? My guess is that the PVC glue can last up to 25 years. I base this only on the 1991 dated 3/4 inch PVC that I removed to redo my zones and I did see the glue failing. I'm almost positive that my old artesian well will likely fail or need to be redone before the next 25 years but I like to learn what is best so I'm definitely interested.

Last edited:
Ah interesting idea. But how big does Pex go? The PVC I did is 2 inches in some places and 1 and 1/4 at the smallest. It's a 20 gallon a minute artesian well feed to a commercial grade cast iron beast of a pump. I guess I could do PEX for the T connection that goes to 1/2 inch top off supply to my pond. And how does PEX do in the blazing UV sunlight of Florida? Schedule 40 seems the minimum thickness I want to go so it will last and take abuse. If the well ever fails I will insist on schedule 80 for most of this part of the piping I'm talking about. Out of curiousity, do you recommend PEX for out of the ground because the pressed on connections will last longer than the glue? My guess is that the PVC glue can last up to 25 years. I base this only on the 1991 dated 3/4 inch PVC that I removed to redo my zones and I did see the glue failing. I'm almost positive that my old artesian well will likely fail or need to be redone before the next 25 years but I like to learn what is best so I'm definitely interested.
Never mind then. Use sch 40. Pvc and you don’t need to support short 20” pieces.

Never mind then. Use sch 40. Pvc and you don’t need to support short 20” pieces.
As usual, you were correct. And as usual, I way overthink stuff. By the time I buried the 20 inches of sand and wet packed it, it's pretty stable, more than I thought it would be. Thanks everyone though.

Back