IPS vs. NPT

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benva

Reaction score
I am installing Moen Brecklyn shower system. The shower arm has IPS threads. However, I could not find any IPS drop ear elbows, all the drop ear that I see on Home deport or Lowes or even plumbing supply store are NPT. Help please, IS IPS and NPT are the same? If not, can you point me to the right drop ear elbow that I need? Thanks.

Google is useful.

IPS is Iron Pipe Straight thread. It's meant to seal on a washer (like the threads the hose for your toilet or faucets attach to). NPT is a tapered thread, designed to seal on the threads, which is why you put pipe tape on them - to lubricate them and help the threads deform and create a seal.

Google is not reliable, I found two different answers, one is yours, the other says IPS, NPT are interchangeable. It seems to me that IPS male end threads in to FIP just fine, but it just does not go deep enough. On Google, some say IPS = Iron Piple Straight, others say IPS=Iron Pipe Size. Very confused!

Last edited:
Back