Ideas for renovating Owner's suite

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrc123

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some ideas on how to best renovate our owner's suite.

We want to replace the shower with a shower and a standalone bath. A steam room and a decent size bathtub would be preferable.

Here are some pictures of the place. The current shower enclosure is a standard builder grade one.

The overall room is quite large, it just have am awkward layout. A window in the middle of the wall with the register underneath and there's an empty space for no particular reason.

Best,
Tim

Attachments

• PXL_20240528_012810697.jpg
    PXL_20240528_012810697.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240528_012759577.jpg
    PXL_20240528_012759577.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240528_012741649.jpg
    PXL_20240528_012741649.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240528_012832105.jpg
    PXL_20240528_012832105.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
If you have access to the underside of that bathroom floor, then the sky is the limit.... or should i say your wallet is the limit. I've seen a complete wet floors with shower drains, where you simple walk into the room and get wet on one side of the room, and the other side (the high side) is where the vanity would be placed to stay dry. Personally, I prefer an enclosed water closet where the toilet is completely enclosed within its own room, and for the shower, tile and glass all the way to the ceiling where a steam room can be utilized.

If you have access to the underside of that bathroom floor, then the sky is the limit.... or should i say your wallet is the limit. I've seen a complete wet floors with shower drains, where you simple walk into the room and get wet on one side of the room, and the other side (the high side) is where the vanity would be placed to stay dry. Personally, I prefer an enclosed water closet where the toilet is completely enclosed within its own room, and for the shower, tile and glass all the way to the ceiling where a steam room can be utilized.
I know glass is the "IN" thing these days, and it does look good. But keeping it clean can be a pain. Need to squeegee it off after every use.

I know glass is the "IN" thing these days, and it does look good. But keeping it clean can be a pain. Need to squeegee it off after every use.
And which is the primary reason I just built an outdoor shower! I despise using that squeegee!

When I replaced the cheap and cheesy aluminum framed builder's grade shower door and wall in my Michigan home with a 10mm frameless all glass door and wall, the company "up sold" me on some kind of glass coating. He really told me it was fantastic, and after living with it for years, I can say it was. Never any soap scum build up, just "hose it down" with cool water after the shower and done. If you take a microfiber cloth and wipe it further, you'll never need cleaning. For the 5 years or so we had it, never cleaned it. Didn't need to.

When I replaced the cheap and cheesy aluminum framed builder's grade shower door and wall in my Michigan home with a 10mm frameless all glass door and wall, the company "up sold" me on some kind of glass coating. He really told me it was fantastic, and after living with it for years, I can say it was. Never any soap scum build up, just "hose it down" with cool water after the shower and done. If you take a microfiber cloth and wipe it further, you'll never need cleaning. For the 5 years or so we had it, never cleaned it. Didn't need to.
Kinda like rainx for your car

Kinda like rainx for your car
Sort of. But it didn't wear off like RainX does. The product is called ShowerGuard, and is made at the factory by Guardian Glass. RainX, EnduroShield and any others that you apply "after the fact" will themselves need maintenance over time. I was very happy with the ShowerGuard, and if I had to do it again, would choose it in a heartbeat...

I paid extra for the baked on coating on all my glass shower doors. I was forewarned that this coating lasted up to 5 years, but after that, it did nothing to protect from water spots. Maybe it was because of the hard water I have, but I had to squeegee the glass daily since the door was installed, or spots would form.

I paid extra for the baked on coating on all my glass shower doors. I was forewarned that this coating lasted up to 5 years, but after that, it did nothing to protect from water spots. Maybe it was because of the hard water I have, but I had to squeegee the glass daily since the door was installed, or spots would form.
Well of course if you leave hard water drops on any surface, regardless of material or coating, once that water evaporates you leave the minerals behind. While we had hard water it was soap scum buildup that was the worst.

We just rinsed with cool water, and wiped down with a microfiber cloth to get the drops off the glass. We only had it about five years before we moved but that suggested protocol from the installer seemed to work for us.

Latest posts

Back