How to prevent pipes from freezing when there ouside

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZiggyCS

Reaction score
Ok everyone need some help.

I have a customer that needs his cabin in the mountains winterized (sort of speak) for the winter. They recently bought the cabin and they want to use it ever weekend during the winter. The issues are
1. The entire underneath of the cabin is open. Sits on cinder block pillars.
a. I will be insulating the floor joints and also cover with plastic.
2. The water pipe runs from the front of the cabin to the back of the cabin it starts at the top of the hill and goes down About 12 ft drop over 20 foot length. The overflow tank (I think it’s the overflow tank, looks like it, and it blue) is also outside. The main water cut off is outside next to the back which is in the back of the cabin. Basically I have about 20 feet of pipe that goes from the top and then down that will need to be insulated. But the water cut off is also located here.
a. How do I keep the tank and water cutoff valve’s (both main and tank values) from freezing. I will be using heat tank. But there isn’t an electrical outlet so I will have to fix that.
3. The inside of the cabin is only heated with a fireplace, so I have recommended to them to buy a heater with a thermostat.
a. Any recommends are good ones that are safe and reliable?

So my biggest issue is with the tank, the water running downhill to the shut off valve and the pipe lying on the open ground.
I can use heat tape to wrap the pipes but can you wrap the shut off valve.
Also will shutting of the breaker for the well pump cause the water to stop at the pump. Meaning, will I still have water in the pipes from the well running downhill 20 feet to the shut off valve. I can shut the water off outside at the shut off valve but I will still have water in the pipes from the top down 20 feet to the valve.
I am almost thinking of doing away with the overflow tank, (I think it over flow and not the pressurized tank for the water heater, being that the pressurized tank for the heater usually is next to the water heater and connected to it) and just running the pipes from the well straight into the cabin and put the on/off valve there.
They would like to come out on Friday walk in relax then leave on Sunday and just lock the door.

So to recap with questions.

How to keep pipes from freezing with them running downhill from the well on/off outside lying on the ground?
Recommendations on heaters?
Do PVC pipes freeze, should they be wrapped?
How to keep the overflow tank from freezing and it is needed? (I know the water inside is brown, probably never been drained).

Is there an on/off shut off valve right at the pump itself? Or once to turn off the breaker the water sink back into the ground/well? (in the vent I decide to re-route the pipes )

I know there is a shutoff valve with a drain built into it, so when you kill the water to the pump, you can drin the system to prevent freezing. You should probably install one of those. Make sure to go inside after you cut the water off and turn everything on to dislodge any water that may be air-locked while you are bleeding the lines. You can build a "structure/well house" around the tank and install a source of heat to keep this from freezing. You'll probably need to get the water out of any traps that are exposed as well. I usually fill the traps with vegetable oil which won't freeze or evaporate. That will keep the sewer gas out. Hope this helps.

No pipe will ever freeze... the water inside though, Well will expand 11% when IT freezes so ANY vessel or pipe holding the water will be ruptured.

These type of jobs quickly become nightmares and will likely not Currentlly or ever pass an inspection, make sure you know what your getting into and Wait for better "remote" plumbers to offer experienced advice.

If you bury the pipe below frost level it will not freeze, usually the opening is built around a pump house as the poster above has said... inside the house you require a constant heat source OR... You could instruct them ( and install to accomodate ) a system that would allow them to drain the cabins lines when not in use, you would want to ensure that the water heater was in an area that would not allow it to freeze up, basically you dont want it running all the time but it could be in a much smaller insulated room with a thermostat and a heater.

Remember you are required to put in a system acceptable by CURRENT codes... and that the building ust also apply to the Building codes to be a legal installation..

Back