How to handle coiled copper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdtvkeith

Reaction score
I am repiping my home. The front photo is from the remodel job 7 years ago,the back photo is the current hole I cut to repipe. I am debating replacing the main and diverted valve because neither valve is mounted to the stud. Both valves are being supported by the copper and some clamps on the copper to the backer board. If I remove the boards to minimize the old copper to just the horizontal pieces nothing will be supporting the valves. I could put a new backer board and cut out the stud, but I would have to plan/rip a 2x4 to be 1 1/8 x 4. Then I keep the diverted and all that copper.

if I pulle the valves, put in 2x4 backers and reassemble I will need to connect to that copper run that goes up to rain head. That looks like it was probably some sort of coiled copper, I assume soft. How do I cit that to make sure it stays round and then how to prep it to sweat on a pex fitting? There is rigid copper and a couple soldered today, just nervous how to tackle that pipe as to not make it a disaster.

1647995079202.png1647995200856.jpeg

Cut it with a tubing cutter. Just go slow so you don’t egg the copper out.

If you do egg the copper out, you can use a flaring tool to round it back out. Just don’t flare it.....✌️

Excellent, any issue using and auto-cut tool, that is what I have been using, but they seem rather to use a lot of pressure when cutting.

Last edited:
Excellent, any issue using and auteur tool, that is what I have been using, but they seem rather to use a lot of pressure when cutting.
I'm not familiar with an "auteur tool". What is it and how does it work?

If you don't have a tubing cutter, or if the space is tight, I sometimes use a little 6" hacksaw with a 32 TPI blade. Still, use it carefully on that soft copper.

I have one like that somewhere, the concern in the shower is there is not enough clearance to get that between the copper and the wall, the auto-cut will barely fit. let me order that one you linked as my old one has a huge stem on it.

HD near me has it will pick it up,. I have an oscillating tool, I will pick up a new metal blade for it, that could work well too. Thanks for everyone's help!

Latest posts

Back