Home water meter installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgr

Reaction score
In order to avoid paying sewer fees for water that doesn't use the sewer system, I'm going to install a residential water meter (5/8" Neptune T-10) on the water line that feeds my sprinkler system, as allowed by my town. I'm perfectly capable of doing the plumbing, but want to make sure I do it right, and there's a distinct lack of specifics on the internet. Can anyone help? e.g. is it ok to install the meter on a vertical line? Are there specific piping items that are required to connect the meter to a 3/4" line? Does the meter have to be located any minimum distance from surrounding surfaces? I will use the existing meter on the main feed as a guide for piping, but could use some help with these other questions, and any other advice folks can give me.
Thanks

I have installed many water meters on the vertical plane, but I always consult the manufacturer's installation guide before doing so. I don't know about that specific meter, so you will want to find out from the manufacturer.

You will need two 3/4" meter nipples. These are brass nipples with a large brass nut. On one end they will have 3/4" male pipe threads, and the other end will have a flat machined surface on it that the nut fits over. They should come with a rubber washer that will go between the flat surface and the inlet/outlet of the meter. The pipe thread is to adapt to whatever type of piping that you are installing it in. You will need some type of arrangement of fittings to adapt to the existing pipe. If you let us know what type of pipe, we should be able to give you some ideas.

Phishfood - thanks for the info. In the fine print on the meter specs I got on the internet I found a comment that it works in any position, which verifies your input on vertical placement. I have managed to get the meter nipples - they should have been supplied with the meter, according to the city water department, but apparently it isn't their practice to do that when a consumer buys a meter from them. After finding that none of the local stores sold them, I went back and they gave me a couple. The stores did have all the other hardware to connect to my water system, so I'm about to start the project.
Thanks again for your help.

Back