Help with Amtrol tank slow loss of pressure and well pump cycling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegeeps20

Reaction score
Hi all, hopefully someone can help me
-I noticed my well pump was kicking on every hour or so with no use of water.
-I turned off main shut off after tank to check if there was a leak in submersible pump check valve or line. Pressure gauge held steady over a long period, so ruled that out.
-I drained the water from Amtrol WX 203(only a few years old) tank and checked the pressure, it was only at 22PSI. I filled up to 38(control box switch set 40-60psi)
- turned water back on and ran water until well pump kicked in at 40psi and shut off at 60psi.
-I left house for about an hour and when I came back the pressure gauge read 52 PSI with no one else home running any water.
- I checked entire house for possible leaks and saw nothing. 3 toilets all quite, not a drop that I can hear. Checked all connections under sinks, no leaks. Checked outdoor faucets, all good. Checked radiators(have forced hot water from boiler), no leakage anywhere.
-I do have a Fleck water softener system, turned to by pass. Also checked it's drain line and no leaks.
-should add that my water is very hard, lots of rust.
- sprayed soapy water on Amtrol valve, no bubbles.
- First question: Could a pin hole ln the Amtrol bladder cause the pressure gauge next to control box to slowly go down and cause well pump to kick on? I assume no, but just checking. Any possible correlation between Amtrol tank losing pressure and water pressure gauge simultaneouly going down eventually causing well pump to kick on without any water use?
-secondly: could a faulty pressure switch control box cause these symptoms?
-3rd: I should be able to hear if a toilet is leaking even if just slightly..correct?
-Any help greatly appreciated on what could be happening. The obvious answer is that there must be a leak somewhere, but there is none to be found.

Back