First Home owner Kitchen sink Probs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robm78

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I purchased my manufactured home a couple months ago and I have my first kitchewn sink problem. I dont know the names of anything really but here is the info:

Problem: When I run the water, in about 5-10 secs both sinks start filling up with water.

What I have done: I have dismantled everything in the sink, put everything back together piece by piece to see if something was clogged.

What I know so far: When I attach the P trap and its all put together the clog starts. There is a removeable plug type thing I started messing with and when I basically almost remove it, I hear the water come through. If I remove the plug completely, the water drains 100% fine with a TINY bit of water dripping out. BUt, if I have a lot of water in the sink and I let it drain, it comes gushing out the hole.

Would love ANY help or suggestions. I will attach some pictures so you get an idea of what I am talking about.\

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1892.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1891.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 0
The "thing" in img 1894 is an AAV (automatic air vent). When working normally, it allows air to draw in the drain to prevent siphon lock as you appear to be having. You'd never want to plug that outlet.
You can possibly see if you take it off that the diaphragm spring seals in one direction and prevents overflow in the opposite.
you may need a replacement. There should be thread sealant on those threads to prevent leak in the event of an overflow

The "thing" in img 1894 is an AAV (automatic air vent). When working normally, it allows air to draw in the drain to prevent siphon lock as you appear to be having. You'd never want to plug that outlet.
You can possibly see if you take it off that the diaphragm spring seals in one direction and prevents overflow in the opposite.
you may need a replacement. There should be thread sealant on those threads to prevent leak in the event of an overflow
So just so we are on the same page.... the AAV is what I want to look at replacing and the plug at the botton where I remove it and water flows is fine?

Yes, examine the AAV, push and prod to see if the spring loaded mechanism is not jammed.
the low plug is a clean-out plug for snaking out clogs and is just an alternate for snaking through the drain tee fitting.

Yes, examine the AAV, push and prod to see if the spring loaded mechanism is not jammed.
the low plug is a clean-out plug for snaking out clogs and is just an alternate for snaking through the drain tee fitting.
just wanted to do an update.

I wasnt sure if the AAV was messed up at all. It seemed simple but just in case I purchased a new one and installed it. I am still having the same problem for now :(

You have a clog further down the drain line. Snake it or have it cleaned.

I went and bought an auger and did that a couple times and Im still having the same issue so I guess I need a call a plumber...bummer!

With the AAV removed does it ever backup? Generally the reason a drains backs up or is slow with an AAV is cause there is an obstruction down the line creating positive pressure keeping the vent diaphragm closed. Unless it's a minor obstruction I would expect the drain to eventually backup without the AAV attached and enough water is run. The clog could be farther than 25', or a grease clog that closes back up after the snake is pulled back.

With the AAV removed does it ever backup? Generally the reason a drains backs up or is slow with an AAV is cause there is an obstruction down the line creating positive pressure keeping the vent diaphragm closed. Unless it's a minor obstruction I would expect the drain to eventually backup without the AAV attached and enough water is run. The clog could be farther than 25', or a grease clog that closes back up after the snake is pulled back.
copy that. Sooooo, with either the plug on the bottom or the AAV, when they are removed the water runs fine. Would you suggest me removing the aav and then letting the water run awhile to see if it eventually starts over flowing or is that not a good idea?

*edit* I didnt wait for your answer....I did it anyways and all was good for abouty 5min and just like you said it started overflowing out the AAV hole lol.
Side note, the sink on the left when I let it overflow and i turn the water off and it starts to drain....it starting gurgling...or bubbling which I dont remember it doing beofore.

Last edited:
Thats a regular snake. Usually an electric one works better. But if you can work that in the drain you'll get it open.

Use a blow-bag and make sure someone is monitoring the laundry area to make sure waters not backing up out of the standpipe as you use the blow-bag.

Be very careful using a blow bag if you have floor drains.

I’m betting it’ll solve your problem.

Yeah I finally had a deep clog for first time in my life. Had to use all 20 feet or so of the hand driven auger until I cleared it. Always go past it though and do total length. Take your time and you'll get it. The clog I cleared probably would have cost me 400 dollar job here in Florida if I hired a plumber. Glad I did that because I just got a 700 dollar vet bill for my cat.

That said, for sink clogs, always try the easy thing first. I use one of those small plungers made for sinks. They look like a small toilet plunger but are for sinks. Usually, the clog for sinks is close to sink and related to the garbage disposal traps and stuff. So I fill both side of sink with water, then try the min sink plunger. That clears it 9 times out of 10. (pump really hard). I always try sink plunger first for clogs in any sink or tub. But.... if that does not clear it, you use the long hand driven augers. For tubs, you actually go through top of the overflow drain (remove the overflow cover). This is the deep clog I had, went about 18 feet before I can hear and see it clear, but went all 25 feet before retrieving the auger.

Amazon Basics sells a hand driven Auger that comes with a bag I really like. It works really well and is so cheap. It's 25 feet long I believe.

Last edited:
You have to get those in the drain itself. Try and get it below the clean out if you can. If not then take the AAV out and push it down the drain past
where the p-trap goes in. Hopefully there is nothing else tyed into the kitchen line. Keep an eye on things so water doesn't push out somewhere
else .

Just to update you guys..... I ran the Drain king and it 100% unclogged whatever the hell was goin on so we are rollin again!!

Appreciate all the help and tips....I learned a lot in the process.

Thanks!

Back