Fight with the water company

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southpaw

Reaction score
I’ll confess. I don’t really need plumbing help but I do have advice on a situation. I’ll try to be brief but be detailed…

The city water works has recently deemed my account as a dual connection since my son moved in a mobile home onto my property and I T’d off my existing water line.

They are doubling my monthly rate but not doubling the amount of gallons that come with the basic service (2000 gallons)

I argued that I don’t mind paying double but I should get double the minimum. They act as if they are losing revenue or actual water somehow. I explained it’s all metered. Every ounce.

So, this has sent me into discussing this with their water board and it has also sent me into the legalities of what they are doing.

My belief and thoughts…When I have a leak on my side …They say that’s your problem. It’s your pipes. With that being said how is it that they can tell me that I cannot split off my pipe to another direction. It’s doesn’t cost them any extra for me to do that. It doesnt loose any revenue for them. After all it not their pipes.

I'm sure they have provisions and codes demanding that all residents have their own accounts? But, I would guess each residence should be alotted a minimum before there were additional charges.
Our water board is primarily comprised of our city council members. I'd recommend you speak with your mayor, city manager or your County Supervisors.

I’ve been plumbing almost 40 years and my father and grandfather go back to the beginning of modem indoor plumbing in the trade in the state of Alabama.

I’ve NEVER heard of a water authority being able to dictate tee’ing off your private water pipe and connecting it to another building on your property as long as you’re not sub-metering the water and selling it to a 3rd party.

Contact a lawyer. That’s the best advice you’ll get.

What county/city are you in ? What’s your water boards phone number……I’ll call those dumbasses on Monday for you.

Thank you both. To add…I am a right and wrong guy. This is not about money.
I intend to fight this yes even if it involves an attorney.
They do have rules that state that any rv, shed, building, etc where people occupy will be deemed a dual connection.
The water board here and the mayor and city council are one and the same. I’ve already been to the first meeting about this.
Kinda reminds me of the Footloose movie where the small town council tried to rule the town…no party’s no drinking, no dancing. No smoking.

Last edited:
Thank you both. To add…I am a right and wrong guy. This is not about money.
I intend to fight this yes even if it involves an attorney.
They do have rules that state that any rv, shed, building, etc where people occupy will be deemed a dual connection.
The water board here and the mayor and city council are one and the same. I’ve already been to the first meeting about this.
Kinda reminds me of the Footloose movie where the small town council tried to rule the town…no party’s no drinking, no dancing. No smoking.
Ok, call a lawyer or fall in line with boss hog. Thanks for posting 👍

I’d disconnect the water line and cap it. Then I’d call the water company out to show them it’s disconnected.

Then once they leave my property I would reconnect it and install a fence with a lock on it. Done.

I'm sure they have provisions and codes demanding that all residents have their own accounts? But, I would guess each residence should be alotted a minimum before there were additional charges.
Our water board is primarily comprised of our city council members. I'd recommend you speak with your mayor, city manager or your County Supervisors.

I’d disconnect the water line and cap it. Then I’d call the water company out to show them it’s disconnected.

Then once they leave my property I would reconnect it and install a fence with a lock on it. Done.

Well they are supposedly reviewing their policies since I gave them such a hard time.

Actually I could just say I disconnected the 2nd dwelling and they couldn’t prove otherwise. . What are they gonna do? Dig up my yard!

Honestly, I’m fighting for everyone else they try this on too. Thank you again

Latest posts

Back