Easiest pex crimp tool for steel rings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenpone

Reaction score
Hello! I have arthritis and was looking for a pex crimp tool for steel rings that is much easier than the one I currently own (sharkbite brand). 1/2 inch are ok but anything above gives me trouble. Would appreciate any suggestions on an easier tool to compress. Thanks!

Add extensions on the handles to make them longer.

Or you can buy a battery operated crimper.

The rings are copper, not steel.

The stainless steel cinch rings are an option and they use a ratchet type tool that’s easy on your hands.

Expansion pex also is very easy if you use the battery expansion tool.

Hello! I have arthritis and was looking for a pex crimp tool for steel rings that is much easier than the one I currently own (sharkbite brand). 1/2 inch are ok but anything above gives me trouble. Would appreciate any suggestions on an easier tool to compress. Thanks!
I would use PEX A expansion rather than PEX B crimp. The biggest reason is for flow. 1/2 PEX B fittings have a smaller inside diameter than 1/2 copper and PEX A is between those two with it's 1/2 fittings. In fact it takes 3/4 size fitting to get the same inside diameter as 1/2 copper pipe. However there is far more water turbulence inside the pipe than properly installed copper. That's because the fittings have sharp edges. PEX A pipe has to be expanded for the fittings to go inside the pipe. They also create turbulence however due to the pipe being much more flexible where other pipes would require a 90 degree fitting the pipe will bend reducing turbulence overall compared to other pipes.

With good pressure and proper install there’s nothing wrong with crimp insert fittings.

Back