Compression Adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfoley

Reaction score
Hello.

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me identify the type of adapter I need.

Right now, the hose exiting the back of my toilet connects to the water source (shut off valve) via a compression fitting with an outside diameter of 3/4 inches, and an inside diameter of 1/2 inches. I need to connect a cloth diaper sprayer hose with a female compression end that has an outside diameter of 5/8 inches (and an inside diameter of 3/8 inches) to the water source. So, I think I need a male 3/8 compression to female 1/2 compression adapter but I can't find anything with these specifications.

Any ideas on where to look?

My landlord does not want me to replace the shut off valve, so I kind of need an adapter, rather than replacement, solution.

Thanks!

- Chris

This might help you a bit!

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

I'll take a shot at this.
The 1st pic almost looks like an auto (clothes) washer hose.
Try and see if that will screw onto a hose bib. ( that would be an exterior faucet that you screw a garden hose to )
Can you post a picture of the valve it is attached to?
The 2nd one maybe a 1/2" connector.
1/2" ips and 3/8" compression are the most common sizes but occassionaly you will run into 7/16 comp fitting.(not very common)

Hard to tell from a pic, but that looks like a 1/2" compression shutoff. (I'm basing that off the fact that the exposed end appears smaller than the standard 5/8" compression nut holding the shutoff on to the copper) If so, a 1/2" Female Comp x 3/8" OD Comp fitting should work.

half-inch-comp-female-by-three-eights-inch-comp-reducer.jpg

Looks Slowdrip has the solution. Replacing the valve would be a better one if you can't find the right connector. I would install a 3/8" compression stop valve. Much easier to find supplies that will fit.

SlowDrip -

Excellent. That looks like what I need. Just to clarify, I'll attach the hose I want to use to the smaller end of that fitting, and I can toss out the smaller nut (far right in the individual pieces picture) and the sleeve/washer (which I believes are used when fitting pipes), correct? Then the larger end of the fitting can be attached to the shut off valve.

havasu and Mr_David - I had hoped to just change the valve, but had to contact the landlord because I couldn't find the main shut off for the house. Instead of telling me where it was, he told me he didn't want me to change to valve. So, since it is something he has specifically mentioned at this point, I probably shouldn't change it. Oh well. I shouldn't have asked, but I couldn't (and never did) find the main shut off valve.

Thanks!

- Chris

You have the part figured right, ctfoley. The nut and sleeve are for use on older style straight tubes, you can discard them because your flexible supply line has a 3/8" nut built on to the end.

It is always a good idea to learn where the main water shut off valve is located, along with the main electrical breaker and natural gas, if you have it.

The part fits! One problem, however; since the larger end of the compression reducer does not have the rubber hose piece on the interior, that end of the reducer leaks when I open the shut off valve. Should some PTFE tape around the shut off valve take care of that, or do I likely have a larger issue to deal with?

Thanks everyone!

I would try giving it a few wraps, and see how it holds.

(Sorry about the confusion...I was communicating with two different people with two different problems, and got my wires crossed!)

Last edited:
Well, I may be out of luck. I put a few wraps of the teflon tape on the shut off valve, and that fixed the leak at the reducer, but a leak showed up at the base of the shut off valve instead. I guess the valve just can't handle the additional pressure that builds when the pipe/hose size is reduced...

I'll guess I'll take it up with the landlord!

Thanks for your help!

Back