Closing up a saddle valve question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd0728

Reaction score
Hi
I have a saddle valve located under my sink that has a line going to my fridge for the water/ice. We are getting a new fridge without those features. Can I turn the saddle valve closed to stop water from entering that line? Or do I need to do something else to stop water from entering those lines to the fridge? I believe they ran this line under the floors to the other side of Kitchen where the fridge is. I attached a photo as well. Thanks

Attachments

• 78EABE97-8D17-432B-AA70-8A25938430D5.jpeg
    78EABE97-8D17-432B-AA70-8A25938430D5.jpeg
    999.7 KB
Theoretically yes you can just shut it, but these valves are notoriously crappy pieces of junk.

They kind of screwed you by putting it so close to the wall like that.

It will leak not a matter of if but when.

Hi
I have a saddle valve located under my sink that has a line going to my fridge for the water/ice. We are getting a new fridge without those features. Can I turn the saddle valve closed to stop water from entering that line? Or do I need to do something else to stop water from entering those lines to the fridge? I believe they ran this line under the floors to the other side of Kitchen where the fridge is. I attached a photo as well. Thanks
That picture of yours gave me one heck of a scare.

Theoretically yes you can just shut it, but these valves are notoriously crappy pieces of junk.

They kind of screwed you by putting it so close to the wall like that.

It will leak not a matter of if but when.
is it close to the wall to be fixed it if starts to leak? Or will the plumber still be able to work with it?

Is it because of the location of the valve?
Yes because of the location. And as JG said, it's not a matter of "if" it will leak but a matter of "when". That being said, I am a fan of the axiom "if it ain't broke don't fix it" as well. As long as you don't disturb it is is probably okay. And, yes, a plumber or a talented DIYer could remove it but you may have to do some cabinet or drywall work in the process because of the location of the hole that was pierced in the copper. Good luck and let us know how you worked it out!

Yes because of the location. And as JG said, it's not a matter of "if" it will leak but a matter of "when". That being said, I am a fan of the axiom "if it ain't broke don't fix it" as well. As long as you don't disturb it is is probably okay. And, yes, a plumber or a talented DIYer could remove it but you may have to do some cabinet or drywall work in the process because of the location of the hole that was pierced in the copper. Good luck and let us know how you worked it out!
Thanks! I have a fridge getting delivered next week so I’m hoping that if I just close the saddle valve that will stop the water so I can unhook the fridge without any water coming out! Then I will plan on getting a plumber over to get rid of that valve.

Sounds good. And when the copper is removed from the refrigerator end it may be worthwhile trying to seal it off until the plumber can come out just to make sure that there is no leak if you are unable to fully stop the water flow with the saddle valve itself but chances are it will stop the flow.

Sounds good. And when the copper is removed from the refrigerator end it may be worthwhile trying to seal it off until the plumber can come out just to make sure that there is no leak if you are unable to fully stop the water flow with the saddle valve itself but chances are it will stop the flow.
What do you recommend we use to seal off the end we take off the fridge?

Looks like there might also be a slow leak on that over-flexed crappy 3/8 plastic supply line coming out of the valve to feed your faucet.

Or water running down that line from a leak above.

Looks like there might also be a slow leak on that over-flexed crappy 3/8 plastic supply line coming out of the valve to feed your faucet.

Or water running down that line from a leak above.
I thought the same when we moved in but it’s just sticky and not a leak or dripping Anywhere

saddle valves are verboten, illegal , Not to be used, not to be trusted , rip it out and replace with ball valve.

The OP said that he wasn't going to install a reefer with the need to do a water hook up but, as long as the plumber is going to be removing the old one, it would be a good idea to put in the ball valve just in case things change in the future.

Latest posts

Back