Cast iron pipes replaced with ABS

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakumboakum

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied to my requests for help. I finished my project of cutting out and replacing all of the 60 year old cast iron hub and spigot pipes and fittings with ABS. Here are some pictures of before and after I began this project.

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Thank you John. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "vent." Are you talking about the pipe coming from the water heater or the 3 inch cast iron "stack" going through the house and up to the roof?

Thank you John. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "vent." Are you talking about the pipe coming from the water heater or the 3 inch cast iron "stack" going through the house and up to the roof?

I was referring to the the 3" cast iron stack. There is a considerable amount of weight to that line. At the least I would place a hanger on the ABS just below it.

John

havasu, you beat me by four minutes I must learn to type, picking with one finger is to slow.

John

John, when someone watches me type, they end up laughing. I am also a hunt and pecker, but use both "nose pickers" instead of just one.

John,

I took your advice and bought a riser clamp from Graingers. Before cutting any pipes, I placed the clamp on the floor. I bought 2 x 8 lumber and tried to clamp the stack to the joists but there wasn't any room. Here is a picture of the riser clamp placement. I checked for any stack movement after cutting the pipes and found the stack didn't move at all.

DSC00227.jpg

Back