buzzing water pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raypunzel

Reaction score
Greetings,
I have an unusual water problem in my house that has crept up over the past few years. While the upstairs shower is being used or the toilet is refilling the tank as well as when the washer on the first floor is running and drawing water the water supply lines in our house buzzes. It is not any sort of air hammer noise, but an annoying hum. It is very apparent as you are on the first floor and the noise gets more apparent as you go to the basement and get closer to the supply lines. When following the noise it is all throughout the supply line entering the house in the basement wall and the noise can be heard as I pop the drop ceiling panels in the basement and trace the water line. Any ideas? The house was built in 1989. We have an expansion tank on our water heater but there is no sound whatsoever by the water heater. The sound is only during the drawing of water...and it is intermittent at times.
Ray V

Two things it could be.
1- Pressure reducing valve needs to be repaired or replaced. If you have one it will be on the main line before any branches are connected to the main.
2- It could be the water meter. I have seen them make some very strange noises.

John

Greetings,
I have an unusual water problem in my house Ray V

Did you solve yet?

Just curious.
I just looked at a 4 unit building today where the 1-1/2" PRV was humming when they used the water.

Back