Brownish water from tub faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingTB

Reaction score
Within a month of moving into a new home were getting brownish water coming from a bathtub faucet whenever that fixture isn’t used for several days. This only comes from the cold water And lasts just a few seconds before clearing up. I captured the water in a clear container and the brown sediment settles out of the water in a couple days.
We don’t see this at any other fixture.
The plumber claims it is Iron in the water supply and shows up at the tub because it’s the furthest fixture from the meter. We’re on municipal water that is treated water pumped from Lake Michigan.
The plumber sent in water samples taken from the meter before the water softener and from a tap after the softener. Both came back with .3 ppm Iron. Our municipal water administrator says there’s small trace amounts of iron.
If there is .3 ppm shouldn’t the water softener remove it?
Any suggestions as to why we’re seeing the brownish water?

The plumber probably used a steel nipple/ fittings for the tub spout piping.

It’ll need to be replaced.

All of the plumbing is plastic (PEX?) and SharkBite type connectors. I cannot see any threaded fittings.

The first thing I would check would be the spout piping on the ONLY fixture you’re getting rust colored water out of.

Your complaint is textbook example of what happens when someone uses steel nipples for the spout piping.

If you have pex for the spout piping then that’s also typically incorrect. It’ll cause the shower head to dribble while the tubs filling.

Another possibility is someone put nails into your piping during construction.

I’ve had that scenario a few times.

Kids found nails during construction and dropped them into the open water pipes…….

The first thing I would check would be the spout piping on the ONLY fixture you’re getting rust colored water out of.

Your complaint is textbook example of what happens when someone uses steel nipples for the spout piping.

If you have pex for the spout piping then that’s also typically incorrect. It’ll cause the shower head to dribble while the tubs filling.
Thanks for the replies. I should clarify this is a floor mounted Tub Filler, Delta 4767. The PEX goes up to the floor rough in flange.

Another possibility is someone put nails into your piping during construction.

I’ve had that scenario a few times.

Kids found nails during construction and dropped them into the open water pipes…….
I suppose I’ll have to take down the piping from the main line feeding this faucet and look inside. The plumber refuses to claiming it’s because of excess iron in the water.

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify this is a floor mounted Tub Filler, Delta 4767. The PEX goes up to the floor rough in flange.

If the plumber used any steel fittings to connect that faucet then that’s your problem.

I’d take it all apart…..

While I had it apart I would check for foreign objects in the piping.

The kicker is that it’s the only faucet giving you rust. It’s not the city’s water causing rust.

If it has an aerator, remove it and see what’s in there…..I’d remove the cartridge also. Check it all.

EA4B10B7-01AC-4781-B7BC-F7F8A8F708EA.jpeg

I had a customer with the same exact problem as you are having and I took off the spout and found a black iron nipple
coming out the wall. Do as TW said.

@FyingTB I am having this same exact issue with the same exact Delta Ara free standing tub filler model T4767-FL. Please help and share how you resolved the issue. I had a bathroom renovation a few months ago and when the tub filler is not used for a few days the water comes out brown before clear. Even had to open ceiling under bathroom with another plumber that confirmed there is no galvanized piping and it’s all pex piping stubbed into brass connection. Cartridge and handle was changed. All appears to be in order but still getting brown water.

Attachments

• IMG_2430.jpeg
    IMG_2430.jpeg
    2 MB
  • ff095cd1-1529-468a-b578-01c14304b771_cdv_photo_001.jpeg
    ff095cd1-1529-468a-b578-01c14304b771_cdv_photo_001.jpeg
    268.5 KB
  • 87b0abd4-cccb-4dab-b37e-ba82d46b4dee_cdv_photo_003.jpeg
    87b0abd4-cccb-4dab-b37e-ba82d46b4dee_cdv_photo_003.jpeg
    293.5 KB
  • ecdefff1-ce18-4bc5-a103-17281bf6f766_cdv_photo_000.jpeg
    ecdefff1-ce18-4bc5-a103-17281bf6f766_cdv_photo_000.jpeg
    327.9 KB
  • ac558a9b-d00b-4913-b705-3fe803ecdd95_cdv_photo_006.jpeg
    ac558a9b-d00b-4913-b705-3fe803ecdd95_cdv_photo_006.jpeg
    348.4 KB
  • 47b5c786-17db-44c2-b939-e77de1e58987_cdv_photo_004.jpeg
    47b5c786-17db-44c2-b939-e77de1e58987_cdv_photo_004.jpeg
    313.1 KB
  • IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    1.7 MB
Usually it’s a piece of galvanized piping or a nipple that causes your complaint.

I have found a nail in the piping before that was rusty. Undoubtedly fell in or someone put in the pipe during install.

Thanks for the feedback. All plumbers that have inspected have confirmed that there is no galvanized piping/nipple. Issue may be a mfg. defect and I will need to pursue replacement under warranty, which in itself appears to be challenging.

Thanks for the feedback. All plumbers that have inspected have confirmed that there is no galvanized piping/nipple. Issue may be a mfg. defect and I will need to pursue replacement under warranty, which in itself appears to be challenging.

If it’s a Delta and it is a defect, the original owner with proof of purchase will not have any trouble with the warranty.

Latest posts

Back