Broken Pipe Fix Using Clamps

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Contractors digging a fence post hole cracked my drain line that the sink and washing machine uses.

To repair they cut a new section of pipe then used two clamp pipes. Probably not proper term but they are black sections of rubber with circle clamps on both end.

So half goes on the old pipe, half on the new pipe, then you screw the clamps tight.

Is this a proper fix? Will it stay sealed?

That sounds like a Fernco style fitting.

Such a repair using these fittings is a rather common practice. I don't know that I would call it the BEST fix, but it is servicable, and I doubt that you will experience any difficulties with it.

We do it that way every now and then and I think it is not the best way but will probably never give you problems. Like Phish said they are Fernco couplings.

What is the more advised route?

A similar ? was recently addressed. I'll go find it

Use the #3 option with one correction
No hub coupling is made for cast iron soil pipe.
CI has a slightly smaller outside diameter than PVC.

Are you connecting PVC to PVC?
If so then a No hub should be just fine and it will tighten up evenly
Better if you can use a no-hub adapters. It has a small ridge at the end to help prevent pipe slippage

We use a mission band designed to fit CI soil pipe to CI, Plastic, or Steel.
I found these images with google

Mission coupling
No-hub coupling
No-hub x PVC adapter
last image is a recent repair I made using 2 adapter and a no-hub coupling

The pipe can shift causing the pipe to not line up properly with the fernco fitting.
Using the no hub with adapter or the mission band with stainless band will keep pipes in correct alignment

mission band.jpg

no-hub.jpg

no-hub adapter.jpg

A proper fix in my field would be to dig up more on each end to where you can get a glue fitting on one end and then lift the pipes up and connect the two with one fitting but this only works if you have the room to trench back a little ways. but like Mr David said the No hub couplings are a little better then the ferncos. I doubt you will ever have a problem with either one but there are better fixes available.

Back