Boiler Cleaner Recommendations?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenwoods

Reaction score
I've just built manifolds for my home heating system (12 years old) and made major changes. So I am planning on using a boiler cleaner to flush out flux etc and sludge that may have accumulated in the system. I've heard of Fernox, and found Hercules at the Home Depot Website. Also found Sentinel X300 online. Anyway, just wondering what people recommend as being effective and cost effective.

I went to Keller Supply and Fernox is $45/quart. Home Depot and Lowes sell Hercules for about $9.50

Any recommendations?

I have no experience with boilers, but just be careful to follow directions if you use any corrosive product inside the lines.

I found a technical services bulletin from Weil-Mclain that says to use Trisodium phosphate, which used to be added to laundry detergent. One pound is adequate for 50 gallons water and it is really cheap: about $4/pound. Comes in a powder and I bought mine at Home Depot. It is also used as a surface cleaner for materials you want to paint and that is the department I found it in.

I've used TSP quite a bit in the past to clean walls prior to painting and have found it to be pretty caustic. If the T/S/B says to use it, then I guess it would be OK, but make sure you flush it all out afterwards.

Back