basement sink drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unit541

Reaction score
I'm adding a utility sink in my basement. The sink will be located directly in front of the 2" vertical drain from my kitchen sink, that goes directly into the slab. There's a capped tee about 6" above the slab. Essentially I'll have two sinks, one right above the other, using a common drain.

What is the correct way for me to utilize this drain for my utility sink?

What is the correct way for me to vent this setup?

I don't know codes in your area. But in my area, as long as there are no offsets in the stack between the two tees, a 2" pipe will serve as a waste stack vent for 2 sinks, and you don't need to do anything additional, just hook it up with a P trap.

Thanks for the advise. Is there a check valve or similar that can be used to keep it from flooding the lower sink in the event the drain becomes obstructed? I don't want a clog to go unnoticed in the kitchen because it starts draining out of the basement sink.

I don't know of anything that would protect against that. Backwater valves are available, but by my code are only to be installed to protect the whole house. I don't even think that they are available in the smaller pipe sizes.

I was envisioning something like the Flood-Guard for floor drains.

Would it be a mistake to simply use a 1.5" check valve between the sink and the trap?

Back