Adjusting pressure switch with one spring only?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omar2726

Reaction score
The regular pressure switch in the water pump has two springs, one for ON and one for the cutoff pressure. Our new pressure switch has only one spring. When I adjust it, the interval is always 20psi. It turns on at 10 psi, and turns off at 30psi or 20psi to 40psi. How do I make the interval longer when there's only one spring? When the pump turns on at 20, it only takes about 4 secs to reach 40psi then the pressure also drops very quickly back to 20psi even if only one faucet is open. I have searched and have not found any leaks in the system. Thanks for your help! Here is a link to a picture of the switch. (w/o the cover)

05222011.jpg

Thanks again! :)

Does your pressure tank have a bladder?

I think it does not have a bladder. Our tank has a check valve after the meter, then goes to the motor and to the tank. The tank has a pressure gauge attached, and the pressure switch too.

Thanks sir! :)

If the tank does NOT have a bladder, it very well may be waterlogged and needs to be drained. You will need to shut the pump off, and release all of the pressure from the system. Then, there should be either a valve or a plug near the top of the tank. Either open or remove that, and open the closest hose faucet. The idea is to drain as much water out of the tank as possible, and replace it with air. This should take some time, as in 15 minutes or more, depending. Once this is done, close everything back up and repressurize the system.

Okay sir, will do it ASAP. What do you think is the best pressure range? I think right now it's about 15 to 35 psi. should I increase it to 20-40 or more? Thanks!

The tank that probably came with that pump is way too small. These pump/tank combo's are hitting the market pretty heavy lately. They are usually under a hundred bucks for both and last about a year or two.

Some of those one spring switches have a differential screw that will spread the off/on a little more. You will have to experiment.

Back