abs sewage pipe exposed to freezing temperatures

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyHpf

Reaction score
This is about a project in an 82 year old building built on a concrete footing but with no crawl space underneath. The available plan is to bring a 2" diameter abs sewage pipe from a kitchen sink through the foot thick adobe block wall, hopefully on a very slight down slope. It will go outside the wall for about 9 inches, then through a 90 degree elbow, then straight down about 30 inches where it will enter the ground. About 20 feet further on it will connect to existing 4 inch pvc sewage pipe.

This is through a south facing wall with no obstructions to the sky, thus to the sun during the day. Summer air temperatures reaches at least 110 F some days. My real concern is that for around two months each winter the temperature drops as low as 20 F each night. It almost always raises above freezing during each day but the pipe will be exposed to below freezing air temperatures for six or eight hours every night. Snow is quite rare.

I read that abs is damaged by freezing. It is not expected that the exposed pipe will have standing water in it at any time but it still seems likely for the abs itself to chill below freezing if not protected for some time almost every night during that period.

I know insulation can be wrapped around the exposed pipe but I don’t know how much insulation might be necessary to prevent the abs from chilling to freezing nor if the same insulation will prevent the pipe from getting warm enough during the colder winter days to be ready for the next night.

Is pipe wrap insulation around the pipe likely to be sufficient?
If so, how thick?
If not, what might be?

If it’s a drain pipe then just make sure it’s pitched properly so it doesn’t hold water. In the conditions you’ve described it’ll be fine. Paint it with latex paint to protect it from UV damage or you can wrap it with insulation, or both.

If it’s a drain pipe then just make sure it’s pitched properly so it doesn’t hold water. In the conditions you’ve described it’ll be fine. Paint it with latex paint to protect it from UV damage or you can wrap it with insulation, or both.
So, you are saying that it does not damage the pipe to expose it to freezing temperatures, as long as it is not filled with water? The only damage comes from expanding ice cracking the pipe?

So, you are saying that it does not damage the pipe to expose it to freezing temperatures, as long as it is not filled with water? The only damage comes from expanding ice cracking the pipe?
Perhaps this question belongs in another place but to save the effort I put it here.

Yesterday I made a donation, using the "donate" link and a debit card. I got a receipt saying I have donated to
Cultured Media DBA Group Builder
Is that indeed this plumbing forum or was the money misdirected to someplace else, which is to say, stolen?

Correct.

Back