AO Smith Conversion

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricko54

Reaction score
I have a 2 yr. old AO Smith LP water heater, model G6 PVT4050PV 201, power vent.
DTE is bringing NG down my road currently.
I queried a friend of mine who is a licensed plumber about doing a conversion from LP to NG. He smiled and said, I have some bad news. I was going to have to take the LP unit out and trash it, and put in its place a new NG model!!!
Please someone tell me this isn't so!
I'm a little disappointed in DTE for not being up front with folks in telling them that when they sign up for NG connection that they should plan on purchasing a new water heater due to no conversion options.

Call A. O. Smith tech support, they are excellent and will tell you what you can (or cannot) do.
In my experience almost all LP appliances can be converted to NG, there are some exclusions though.

I have a 2 yr. old AO Smith LP water heater, model G6 PVT4050PV 201, power vent.
DTE is bringing NG down my road currently.
I queried a friend of mine who is a licensed plumber about doing a conversion from LP to NG. He smiled and said, I have some bad news. I was going to have to take the LP unit out and trash it, and put in its place a new NG model!!!
Please someone tell me this isn't so!
I'm a little disappointed in DTE for not being up front with folks in telling them that when they sign up for NG connection that they should plan on purchasing a new water heater due to no conversion options.
Call AO Smith and see if they will prorate you a replacement to a Natural Gas version

In all my years of working I never converted a residential water heater gas valve or burner assembly.

I doubt AO Smith would prorate a new NG heater. Why should they?
Everyone in the approximately 2-3 square miles that will be eligible for NG, either has an LP or electric water heater. I'm positive that when DTE comes through to signing you up for their service and collecting the $3400 hook-up fee, they're not telling anyone, by the way, you're going to have to buy a new water heater also for an additional $1200 because there is no conversion!
This is only for the water heater that I know about not being able to put in a conversion kit. What about an lp stove, dryer, etc. Most people might look at it as hey, the water heater is 15 years old, probably time for a new one anyway. Same with the stove and dryer. I'd hate to see the tears people with the on- demand tank less water heaters are going to cry when they find out that those units my not be convertable!

You can convert Rinnai tankless units. It’s expensive to do but can be done.

15 yrs is a good service life, time for a new one anyway.

Back