Wilkins - Kurn 600XL 1" Pressure Reducing Valve Problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcmurry

Reaction score
My house has a 1" water supply that runs about 230 PSI. I use the Wilkins 600XL Pressure Regulator to give me about 65 PSI for the system. I have been doing this for about 30 years.

I know this is near the limit of the valve so I keep an eye on it. After about 5 years I have to replace the valve.

The last couple of times, I kept the old housing and used a rebuild kit. The kit is about $30 where the valve itself is almost $300 now.

Its always worked fine until now.

For what its worth, I have a demand Takagi with a recirculating system and pressure tank. Nothing on the system has changed for years except that the regulator needed to be changed out (again).

Once I put in my rebuilt valve, when there is NO water flowing, the pressure slowly moves up to over 110 PSI. So I get a little slam the first time I turn on the water, but then the regulator starts working and everything is OK.

Clearly, this is not good for my system. I also really worry about the solenoid valves in my appliances. The LG Washing machine lets out a little groan when the pressure starts getting high.

I always use Silicone on the O-Ring and I even put a little on the valve seat washer. But for some reason this time I have a problem.

I will pick up another gasket kit and rebuild the backup valve housing.

Anyone have any idea what might cause the problem? Maybe I shouldn't use silicone on the actual valve seat. The instructions specifically say to use silicone grease on the O-Ring but does not mention the valve seat.

Maybe after a few days the valve seat will wash away the grease and things will start working again...

I really don't want to go buy a new $300 Regulator. I already own two seemingly good valve bodies.

Can anyone offer me advice here?

Greg

Might be some trash in it. Take it apart and make sure it’s all clean and put together right

I have a shorter fuse, having spent the time to rebuild both Watts and Wilkins with failed results, we now ONLY buy and install Wilkins double union models and just swap’em out.
Kudos to you for trying, and really it should work, but I may die without comprehending the mysteries of that mechanism.

The 600XL is the single union type but it removes easily.

I have my fingers crossed. It looks like after running it a while it might be working properly.

I started cleaning and getting ready to put in the unit I just took out. There is not much too these units. A diaphram an O-Ring and a valve seat. Should be easily repaired as I have for many years.

Back