Water line sediment, replace galvanized steel?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a problem with reddish, flaky sediment in my water (could send picture), which slowly clogs everything from my sprinkler system, to my washer, to being present in my toilet bowl. I've called the city, who flushed the street, but otherwise said it wasn't the problem. I've also experimented with turning on all water outlets in the house to flush all conduits in my house, but the problem is only getting worse (although it seemed to have reduced significantly in the winter). I believe I've narrowed it down to my water line, running from the street to the my basement (approx. 25 ft). The water line appears to be galvanized steel, which I understand corrodes, and it is perhaps releasing years of mineral buildup. I was quoted $3000 to replace this water line, which is obviously not making me any happier, and the guy couldn't actually guarantee that the problem would go away! My questions are as follows:
1) do you agree and how can I be sure the problem is the water line?
2) Is replacing the water line my only option? What about installing a filter/strainer? Would this type of solution only buy me so much time, as the problem is likely to get much worse? I'm fine with having to go to the basement and clean the filter on a weekly or monthly basis if it saves me thousands and is viable for several years.
3) Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
It's difficult to agree or disagree with the assessment without being there to look over every detail. Are the rest of your water pipes copper or plastic or are they also galvanized steel? Are you sure it is the hot and cold water with this problem and not just the hot? If your water service is galvanized steel I would recommend replacing it with copper or approved plastic water service piping.
Sometimes more money is spent and time exhausted by trying to "get by" with a problem when the best approach is to be direct and complete.

Thanks Plumb-Crazy!

TO clarify, I've isolated the problem to the cold water only and not the hot, which of course tells of another issue, which is that my water heater probably has an inch of sediment at the bottom. Also, all other pipes (besides main) are copper. I guess I'm prepared to spend the money to replace the galvanized steel line, but I really want to be sure this is the issue. Do you know if this is a common issue with a galvanized main?

Mick

Latest posts

Back