Water leaking from exhaust after replacing inlet pipe on water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slingtv4kn

Reaction score
hello there,

There was a leak on top of water heater incoming water. To fix this I had to replace Pipe Nipple w/ Heat Traps and after doing so I notice slow water leaking from where the exhaust is. Could this be because I didn't tighten the heat trap pipe enough or tightend it too much where i damaged something inside?

Your tank is most likely leaking near the top of the tank. Water will
Push up and out of the top openings when there’s a slow leak near the top.

I see this regularly.

So while it’s possible there is a leaking inlet,outlet or other connection near the top of the tank I suspect your tank has failed.

Your tank is most likely leaking near the top of the tank. Water will
Push up and out of the top openings when there’s a slow leak near the top.

I see this regularly.

So while it’s possible there is a leaking inlet,outlet or other connection near the top of the tank I suspect your tank has failed.
What's in blue is what I replaced. The yellow arrow pointing to is what I think I either didn't tighten it enough or tighten it too much. How much should this be tighten? The red mark is where the water is leaking.

Attachments

• 20240708_192225.jpg
    20240708_192225.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Your tank is probably leaking.

But if you think the nipple is leaking then take it back apart, apply Teflon and a little pipe dope over the Teflon and tighten the piss out of it into the heater. Be sure to apply the Teflon the proper direction.

If you still have a leak after that then your tank is leaking. I think your tank is leaking or possibly condensation.

Your tank is probably leaking.

But if you think the nipple is leaking then take it back apart, apply Teflon and a little pipe dope over the Teflon and tighten the piss out of it into the heater. Be sure to apply the Teflon the proper direction.

If you still have a leak after that then your tank is leaking. I think your tank is leaking or possibly condensation.
Looks like based on your response, it seems like there is no such thing as tightening it too much?

Looks like based on your response, it seems like there is no such thing as tightening it too much?
You don’t want to crush the nipple. You shouldn’t have to tighten it past grunt tight with typical tools.

Back