water heater too big?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobt4

Reaction score
I need to replace my water heater. I now have 40 gallon electric water heater. My father-in-law has an 80 gallon water heater that he was going use but did not. He said that I can have it but I think it may be too big. There are 4 people in my family and I have well water. It is a single family home with one level and a full basement. Just one bathroom. I am trying to save on energy cost. Is the 80 gallon too big for me?

I need to replace my water heater. I now have 40 gallon electric water heater. My father-in-law has an 80 gallon water heater that he was going use but did not. He said that I can have it but I think it may be too big. There are 4 people in my family and I have well water. It is a single family home with one level and a full basement. Just one bathroom. I am trying to save on energy cost. Is the 80 gallon too big for me?

HUD-FHA requires, as a min, an electric DHT to have a storage of 40 Gal, 4 kW input with a 1st hr draw of 58 Gal for a 3 bedroom & =< 1-1/2 bath family home.

how did that 40 gallon perform for you? did you run out of hot water often? you will b spending more to keep double the hot water hot, but its free!!

An 80 gallon is overkill for the house size, but a free tank is a free tank. There will be times when the tank will heat when the water cools and is not used, but newer tanks are very well insulated and it isn't too much of an issue. You want to be aware of any differences in electrical requirements for the breaker and wiring as it relates to the demands of the heating element(s) as well as the size of the tank to replace the existing one.

40 gallon worked fine. Never ran out of hot water unless we did a bunch of laundry and then decided at the last minute to go somewhere and everyone needed to take showers. Otherwise, no problems with it until it started leaking and with it over 17 years old, we decided to put something in that is better on electricity.

I am having a local plumber put it in so he should be aware of the electrical requirements (I hope!). Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back