Unable to disassemble a two-lever faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goblin

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a leaking two-lever kitchen faucet which looks like this:
01_whole_tap.jpg

I've tried to disassemble the levers to replace the washers. I unscrewed the top protectors without a problem, I've found the philips screw which I thought held the levers in place:
02_philips_screw.jpg

Unscrewing that wasn't much of a problem. The problem is that after doing that, the levers don't come off at all. I've tried pulling them up (with quite some force), I've tried rotating them, I've tried doing both at the same time - they're just stuck in place as they were. They rotate the same distance as during normal operation.

So I've decided to unscrew the ring below the lever:
04_unscrewed_ring.jpg

One of those came off by hand, for the other I used pliers.

However, this didn't help either. I can't lift anything off, and I can't grab the stem with anything because the design of the ring seems to prevent that:
05_lifted_ring.jpg

In fact, after all this disassembly, when I switched the water back on (gently), the tap functioned as normal -- the levers worked as before. Nothing came loose, nothing sprang up, the whole tap behaved just as if I didn't unscrew anything at all.

I'm out of ideas. I didn't find any grub screws or anything else I could twist or grab to remove those levers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back