Toilet shut off valve doesn't seem to work right

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a time in the days of copper, when nearly every valve in a plumbing system was a multi-turn. Most were gate valves perhaps a few were globe valves. Gate valves are mostly used for shut offs, globe valves can be used for throttling as well as shut off.

Somewhere along, the line ball valves came into play, and now they are used almost exclusively for shut offs in a home. By definition, a ball valve is a quarter turn.

So the toilet shut off that are multiturn are miniature gate valves and the quarter turns are miniature ball valves. There are crappy ones of each and great ones of each as well. Nearly everything today is an import as well.

The pros can carry multiple kinds in their truck as well as pieces and parts of the gate and globe valves, while a typical homeowner does not have such luxury.

Agreed - what sucks is how is a "non-professional" to know? Work with me here - and I'm looking at you two axe - how is a home owner to know?

Context - I can do all you said, but other than anal plumbers home on a Saturday (I mean that in all kindness) I've heard of only one suggestion when it comes to these cut off valves - turn them every year. To me any washer that just sits there will corrode, so the 1/4 turn ball valve with its nylon (?) ball seems to be a better solution. Key word - seems. But the last time I cared about my cutoff valves is when I replaced all the parts in my 5 toilets.

Sometimes we're just screwed. No sarcasm here.

Agreed - what sucks is how is a "non-professional" to know? Work with me here - and I'm looking at you two axe - how is a home owner to know?

Context - I can do all you said, but other than anal plumbers home on a Saturday (I mean that in all kindness) I've heard of only one suggestion when it comes to these cut off valves - turn them every year. To me any washer that just sits there will corrode, so the 1/4 turn ball valve with its nylon (?) ball seems to be a better solution. Key word - seems. But the last time I cared about my cutoff valves is when I replaced all the parts in my 5 toilets.

Sometimes we're just screwed. No sarcasm here.
How is a homeowner suppose to know ? Hahaha 😝 I guess they wouldn’t.

What can you do other than exercise the valve ? Well for a 1/4 turn that’s all you can do.

For a multi turn you can use silicone grease on all the removable valve components and install a quality neoprene washer.

How is a homeowner suppose to know ? Hahaha 😝 I guess they wouldn’t.

What can you do other than exercise the valve ? Well for a 1/4 turn that’s all you can do.

For a multi turn you can use silicone grease on all the removable valve components and install a quality neoprene washer.
Curious how difficult it is to service this multi turns (add grease and change washer)? Something a novice DIYer (who has only changed a bidet and toilet parts) can do? Any special tools? Thanks.

Curious how difficult it is to service this multi turns (add grease and change washer)? Something a novice DIYer (who has only changed a bidet and toilet parts) can do? Any special tools? Thanks.
Servicing a multi turn stop is the same as replacing a faucet washer in a faucet.

Back