Sump Pump Discharge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyghtron

Reaction score
Hello! I posted this in the general forum and did not receive a response so I figured I'd post it here.

I have a sump pump discharge that was puddling water at the ground. After learning that the house had probably settled and broken connection from the discharge pipe, I dug up the ground surrounding it and found that it had indeed come detached at the spot in the picture.

My question is about the standing water that you can see in the attached picture. Is this normal for water to stand there, like in a Ptrap in a bathroom sink? I just don't want to attempt to reconnect and have the water back up into my basement. To be clear, whenever the sump pump works and water is discharged, the water from the hole that I dug drains fairly quickly (in about 20 seconds).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240928_233059820.jpg
    PXL_20240928_233059820.jpg
    3.3 MB
  • PXL_20240928_232616983.jpg
    PXL_20240928_232616983.jpg
    2.7 MB
Several questions to provide you with an answer.

I assume this is a sump that pumps ground water from under your basement slab, correct?

To where does that pipe in the ground go?

In most places it is illegal to pump ground water into sanitary sewers. But if that line does go into a sanitary sewer, that water in the pipe could indicate an S-trap, which is also illegal. But the level of the water would be at the weir level of the S-trap meaning there should be a 180-degree pipe "loop" near that pipe, which I don't see in the picture.

If that pipe discharges into a French drain, an area filled with rock so that the water seeps into the ground, the level of water in that pipe is at the current water table level. And if the French drain is right at the location of that pipe, that is a terrible location for it. All you end up doing is pumping water from under your foundation back to under your foundation.

See if there are any fittings down that pipe and see which way, if any, they point.

Hi and thank you so much for your indepth reply, MicEd.

Correct, this is a sump that pumps from my basement slab.

I just dug out some more and as you can see in the new pictures here, it appears that there is a pipe that bends and moves away from the foundation. There is also what appears to be some sort of a box that is about 1 ft x 1 ft.

I will say that prior to reattaching everything here, during heavy rains, the sump pump would run once every 8 -10 minutes. Two days after the rain has stopped, the sump pump is barely running, maybe once every hour or so

One other thing that I forgot to mention. Once I hooked everything back up, there is a bit of water that spills out from a little bit above the bend (where two pipes attach). Do you have any recommendations for how to seal/ what to do about that?

Attachments

• PXL_20241001_162330249~2.jpg
    PXL_20241001_162330249~2.jpg
    2.8 MB
  • PXL_20241001_162338845.jpg
    PXL_20241001_162338845.jpg
    2.7 MB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back