Suggestion for where to place ADA-approved grab bars

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyHigh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am preparing for my upcoming surgery that will keep me off my left foot for almost three months. My dilemma is that the only two showers in my townhouse are in bathtubs one with glass bypass doors and one with a simple shower curtain. The studs are on 16 inch spacing and I am wondering if the Moen Secure Mount method would be suitable as well if I can't hit the studs on both ends of the bar(s).

I am having dickens of a time trying to decide where to place grab bars in the tiled surround above the tub. Back wall? End walls? Both back and end walls? If anybody has a suggestion, I'd appreciate their opinion on where to place the bars.

I used grab bars with suction cups I got from a medical supply store they are very strong ,unless you have 2×4 or 2×6 blocking,with stainless hardware you won't be able to mount conventional HP grab bars, safely
I put those grab bars on both short walls and the long wall

Thanks @Geofd. I was considering the suction cup versions and may still do so. My only issue is that I've have pretty good screw down suction cup devices give way attaching something as light weight as a shaving mirror to a smooth tile.

Is it your experience that the suction cup grab bars need to be checked periodically and, if so, how often do you do it?

The Moen Securemount system I was considering for at least one end of the long bar on the back wall, requires drilling a 1 1/2" hole through the tile and mounting substrate and then installing the anchoring device, sort of like a heavy-duty moly anchor, through the hole per this link. It's still good for only 300 pounds but I am not going to hang from it I suppose:

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-SMA1000...e2505c&ref_=pd_hp_d_atf_ci_mcx_mr_ca_hp_atf_d

Getting old is hell!

I'd check the medical supply stores the suction cups are very strong, every once and a while they may loosen but if you only using for 3 months I've had mine in the shower for a few years , every once and a while I'll loosen the suction cups wet them and they are good for a long time
Install time......... 30 seconds
Mine are on tiles just move them away from the grout lines
If your drilling an 1 1/2 hole that's slot of area that water can get behind the tile wall no caulking is gonna prevent that forever,, I've seen improperly installed grab bars,and shower chairs pull thru the tile walls

Last edited:
I'd check the medical supply stores the suction cups are very strong, every once and a while they may loosen but if you only using for 3 months I've had mine in the shower for a few years , every once and a while I'll loosen the suction cups wet them and they are good for a long time
Install time......... 30 seconds
Mine are on tiles just move them away from the grout lines
If your drilling an 1 1/2 hole that's slot of area that water can get behind the tile wall no caulking is gonna prevent that forever,, I've seen improperly installed grab bars,and shower chairs pull thru the tile walls
Thanks much. All great points and, yes, drilling that large a hole can only lead to trouble ahead. I'll check with the medical supply houses in my area.

Latest posts

Back