Stubborn Tub Drain is defying my attempts to remove it!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyHigh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have noticed water stains on the ceiling that are directly below the tub's drain. This happened once ago about twenty years ago and I was able to easily remove the part and pack enough plumbers putty under it to seal it until, apparently, today.

I tried some simple tools to remove the drain but no joy. The four lobed metal parts in the bottom of the drain look to be intact so I went to Home Depot to find a tool to remove the drain. Something got the better of me and I decided to purchase an "EZ-Out" sort of device that you gently tap into drain and then attempt to remove using a 1" socket on a half inch socket. This is the tool:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Tub-Drain-Removal-Tool-410-075-0111/311493720

and here is a picture:husky drain removal tool..jpg

No joy! I could not get the EZ-Out device to grab the sides of the drain even when tapping with a hammer to seat it. I am wondering if the other type of drain removal wrench would be a better bet. What are your recommendations on how to proceed? At least H.D. has a lifetime warranty on the tool so it's going back.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Havasu. I'd be willing to buy an oscillating cutter, but my pea brain can't figure out where to begin cutting on the existing one without damaging the PVC pipe that it's screwed into.

Why don’t you get back and try and buy the tool that has the four lugs that fit into the bottom cross pieces of the drain. That seems like your best bet.

Why don’t you get back and try and buy the tool that has the four lugs that fit into the bottom cross pieces of the drain. That seems like your best bet.
Thanks for the tip! I was back to HD at 6:00 am this morning to do just that! Great minds and all...............

At less than half the price, the four lugged tool did the trick. Sadly, the plumber that installed the piping to the drain did not center it properly nor put it at the correct angle to meet the tub. I hope that new washer and plumber's putty seals the deal!

That being said, I hope this is the fix or I will have to contemplate cutting a hole in the drywall in the abutting closet and do some inspecting in there.

Last edited:
Well, after replacing the tub drain complete with new gasket and ample plumber's putty on the underside of the metal piece before installing AND blocking off the overflow drain temporarily to prevent water entering that way, I believe my leaks still exists.

Not having ever removed the tube water control valve's trim, would this be the next step in trying to figure out where the leak is or would you go ahead and cut an access hole in the adjoining closet's drywall?

Well, after replacing the tub drain complete with new gasket and ample plumber's putty on the underside of the metal piece before installing AND blocking off the overflow drain temporarily to prevent water entering that way, I believe my leaks still exists.

Not having ever removed the tube water control valve's trim, would this be the next step in trying to figure out where the leak is or would you go ahead and cut an access hole in the adjoining closet's drywall?
Cut and leave a small inspection door there.

Cut and leave a small inspection door there.
I bit the bullet and had a professional, certified plumber come out as I was giddy about cutting the sheetrock. $1001 dollars and a 29" x 10" hole in the dry wall later, the leak was determined to be an old CPVC fitting on the hot side of the shower valve. At least I have the hole and the ability to inspect things later on down the line and the leak has been fixed and, for that, I am thankful!

Oh, they tried to sell me a replacement cartridge because they thought the drips should have stopped after about thirty seconds, but it didn't. Turns out that the 100" flexible shower head hose hold quite a bit of water (but of course I knew that). They would have gladly changed out the Moen cartridge if I wanted to spend $600 more.

I am in the wrong racket!

I bit the bullet and had a professional, certified plumber come out as I was giddy about cutting the sheetrock. $1001 dollars and a 29" x 10" hole in the dry wall later, the leak was determined to be an old CPVC fitting on the hot side of the shower valve. At least I have the hole and the ability to inspect things later on down the line and the leak has been fixed and, for that, I am thankful!

Oh, they tried to sell me a replacement cartridge because they thought the drips should have stopped after about thirty seconds, but it didn't. Turns out that the 100" flexible shower head hose hold quite a bit of water (but of course I knew that). They would have gladly changed out the Moen cartridge if I wanted to spend $600 more.

I am in the wrong racket!
Congratulations, problem solved. This is my inspection door:

Attachments

• Bathtub Inspection door.jpg
    Bathtub Inspection door.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back