Saddle tees over a sanitary tee

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ooshock

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone know if they make a saddle tee that will actually tap into the 3x2 sanitary tee

In my situation I have a 3x2 sanitary tee and 3 inch ell butted together and i need to tap into the 3x2 sanitary tee or I will have to remove alot of plumbing and start over.

Where exactly are you needing to tap into the tee at? Fernco makes a rubber saddle tee and they also have some made from SDR 35 PVC but may not work for you. In some of cases per some cities here in CA they will let you core drill and stub the new pipe in and then Mortar around the whole thing like a small junction structure.

Chris I need to tap into the 3x2 sanitary tee right where the other 2" enters the 3" fitting. Basically it would then be a 3x3x2x2. When you talk about core drilling then stubbing new pipe in, what do you mean by mortar it in. Can you tell me how to do this? I have seen this in certain houses i have been in and never new how you did it, I guess I just thought it was a cobbled up shortcut that was not code. Thanks

Last edited:
Phish when you guys tap into a live main how do you do it? Here in CA 95% of the time it is with some form of saddle tee. Just curious.

I have seen (though not installed) saddle tees for tapping into water mains. I imagine that something similar might be used for attaching to forced sewer mains. For gravity drainage systems, though, saddle tees are against code.

I'd love to see what they use for gravity sewer mains in your area. I know you guys have alot of ground water and things are done way differently. I actually have a guy that works for me that used to do pipeline in Florida.

Talked to a pipeline guy today.

He verified that saddle tees are not allowed here on gravity sewers. They either have to cut in a manhole or use rubber couplings, I believe something akin to a Fernco.

Wow, I find that odd that they would rather cut out a section of live sewer while poo is filling a hole and use a product like a fernco instead of just tapping it. I talked to my guy the other day about it and he said that they just dug a hole for the sewage to fall in while the made the connection. In CA you would loose your license for that and be fined a great deal.

Uniform Plumbing Code 311.0 Prohibited Fittings and Practices 311.2: No drainage or vent piping shall be drilled and tapped for the purpose of making connections thereto, and no cast-iron soil pipe shall be threaded.

International Plumbing Code Section 706 Connections Between Drainage Piping And Fittings 706.1: All connections and changes in directions of the sanitary drainage system shall be made with approved drainage fittings

Hi all, does anyone know if they make a saddle tee that will actually tap into the 3x2 sanitary tee

In my situation I have a 3x2 sanitary tee and 3 inch ell butted together and i need to tap into the 3x2 sanitary tee or I will have to remove alot of plumbing and start over.

I don’t believe that is permitted in the BC Plumbing Code. Even T or sanitary T fittings are allowed to install in certain prescribed arrangements only.

Latest posts

Back