Replacing pressure reducing valve - help please (photo attached)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azt

Reaction score
Hi,

My home water pressure has been fluctuating (but generally has become low/weak) and I believe this 15 year old Wilkins 3/4" BR4 pressure reducing valve is likely the culprit. I obtained what I believe is the direct replacement (3/4" now Wilkins model NR3XL as pictured) and have basic mechanical skills but not much plumbing experience. If the current valve had been installed with double union connectors on each end like I see in videos, I probably wouldn't have needed to post this! But as you can see it has small sections of pipe threaded into it, so I would greatly appreciate hearing the recommended order of steps to replace this (and if I can easily do this via adjustable wrench and some plumbing tape - or should just call an expert).

So I assume (after shutting the water valve behind it and opening a faucet to deplete the pressure) I have to disconnect the pipe further down on either end via one of those large nuts, in order to twist out 1 of the pipe sections from the valve first (or twist the whole valve off the other pipe - I think if i remove the black housing of the existing valve there is room to rotate it off). What is that copper wire going through the left nut for? And once I disconnect I'm not sure how to brace or tightly hold the pipe section I need to turn out of the regulator without damaging it.

Any tips are welcome, thank you!

Attachments

• pressurereducer.jpg
    pressurereducer.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
If you are the least bit concerned, I would recommend letting a professional plumber install a new one with specific instruction to add the unions on both sides, so you aren't dealing with this issue the next time your PRV needs replacing.

Good point, if there was any chance I'd be in the house long enough to replace it again I'd probably do that, but i won't be. Hoping for a cost effective way to replace if I can DIY.

Your existing system has unions in it. HOWEVER, it looks like the regulator you have isn't an EXACT replacement. and the wire on the left union nut is a seal the water company has on their meter connection. The exiting regulator obviously has female threads as well as male threads on the inlet and outlet connections. And the male threads on the existing one appear to be larger than on the new one. If you find one with female threads the same size and that has the same length as the existing regulator, you may be able to call the water company and tell them your issue. They may send someone out and remove the seal and then reinstall it after you replace the regulator. I come from a small town, and they would do that for most people, but not sure where you are from in Pennsylvania or if they would do that. I'm not sure what is upstream of your meter. but if you can swing the meter out from the wall slightly, you can possibly remove the union on the right that may allow you to unscrew the regulator from the hexagonal shaped pipe that attached to the meter without having to cut the meter seal. Then it would simply be removing the nipple from the old regulator to the right union and reinstalling the new regulator/nipple assembly. Use tape or pipe thread sealant.

If you cannot find the exact replacement regulator, the one you have will require additional fittings and more work. This very well may be a case where you need to call a plumber.

regulator.png

If the PRV has internal threads, you might be ok. I know the one I just installed had them.

Thanks to both of you - it does have internal threads like the old one and I think is identical in spec/size, here's a better comparison photo as the angle in the original photo probably distorted the size of the threads, MicEd69

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
OK, it did look like the new regulator had smaller male pipe threads. So, you possibly can do this if you feel comfortable doing it, and if there is a way to pull/rotate the meter away from wall so you can remove and install the regulator without disturbing the union on the meter. You need to be VERY careful in doing that if you proceed in that manner.

If that is not possible, the wire we talked about earlier has a seal somewhere along it that needs to be replaced and possibly removed by the water company, again as we discussed earlier. I'd give them a call and let them know your issue. You may be able to cut that wire at the seal, use the union at the meter to remove the regulator without disturbing the upstream piping. Actually, that would be the best. Then, assuming the water company allows it, you would call them after replacing everything and they would then come out and replace the seal.

If you don't have confidence in doing any part of that, and/or if the water company isn't willing to help, call a plumber.

Good luck.

Reactions: azt
Back