Pump size vs casing size

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughesj23

Reaction score
First post here. Hello everyone.
I plan to install a Grundfos 11 SQF-2 solar pump on a ranch for watering cattle. The pump, with my planned solar array and total head, etc, is estimated to produce around 9 GPM. The pump diameter is 2 15/16" and the I.D. on the 3" casing is 3.042". So it'll fit just fine, but it is tight. The pump will be set inside the perforated section of the casing. My first question, is it okay to install this pump in 3"? Grundfos website says minimum borehole should be at least 2.99". But my main question is, by doing so, will I lose some of the estimated 9 GPM flowrate? Should I expect to lose a considerable amount of flowrate?

Thank you.

Plenty of room for 9 GPM. But there is not enough room for a flow inducer. So, I would set the pump just above the well screen, not further down.

Plenty of room for 9 GPM. But there is not enough room for a flow inducer. So, I would set the pump just above the well screen, not further down.
Thank you. I was concerned that the tiny area around the pump would restrict the full water flow.

I did a quick search in here on flow inducer and learned a lot! Thanks for that too. I'm afraid the static water level doesn't allow me to place the pump above the existing perfs. I suppose I'll have to take my chances on the pump overheating.

I appreciate the feedback.

When the pump must be set down in the screen area and there is no room for a flow inducer, just don't set it any deeper than necessary. Put the pump just under the pumping level and not at the bottom of the well.

Back