pull cartridges before sweating a valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdb

Reaction score
I'm installing a new moen tub/shower faucet. The valve body my plumbing supply gave me takes 1/2 copper sweat fittings. I'm fine with sweating copper, but I'm concerned that heating the valve will damage the components inside the valve- cartridges etc.
I'm not looking forward to dis-assembling and re-assembling the valve... is it necessary to pull it apart before I sweat my pipes?

FWIW
I called MOEN nad spoke to a support person.
He said dis-assembly is optional but excess heat could damage the O-rings in the valve. Since the valve body is cast and fairly heavy I'm thinking that it's going to take time to heat to soldering temp. I'm playing it safe and removing the cartridges and regulator. Having to replace them after if they are damaged seems a bigger PITA than taking it apart and putting it back together when my connections are made.

indeed it was easy- it took 5 minutes to dis-assemble all the components and 2 minutes to re-assemble. I felt much better knowing i was heating up only the cast metal valve body with the torch.
A note of caution - take it apart slowly as there are little springs and such in the balancing valves that would love to jump away from you and roll to places unknown

Latest posts

Back