Pressure reducing valve in meter pit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neporcupine

Reaction score
I live on a 3 acre lot. This meter pit is on the far border from my house, so water lines run a ways to point of use. We are in nebraska, so we do get winter.
I want to put in a pressure reduction valve. The main inside house **** off does not shut off my yard hydrant, so they must branch in the yard somewhere. My pressures on the house spigots, and the yard hydrant run around 90-100 psi consistently.
The only way to have control of all pressures is to put the regulator on after the meter. How would you guys put this on? The meter pit is relatively narrow, and the meter itself is 1.5 foot underground, and the outflow pipe will naturally be a bit deeper. Getting to this would be quite awkward.
I know not to use sweat fittings on buried copper. This is not technically buried, but is outdoors. Thoughts? Thanks!IMG_0758.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpeg
    IMG_0757.jpeg
    1.3 MB
I would put the regulator in your house and leave your spigots and yard hydrant on full pressure. I'm told that some codes do require a maximum pressure of 80 PSI in the house footprint, so that could be a problem. But I've plumbed my house so that all the spigots are at line pressure. Our line pressure only runs around 80, but I sure like the higher pressure for outside use.

I also plumbed one of my rental houses that way, and that water supply routinely runs 100 PSI. The meter for that house happens to be in the basement, so there is no way for me to limit the pressure inside the house footprint.

The meter for that house happens to be in the basement, so there is no way for me to limit the pressure inside the house footprint.
In this case the PRV would be installed according to directions as close to the meter as allowed and set to a max of 80psi. Of course this is where the model codes are used and the AHJ hasn’t amended the model codes. Almost all AHJ amend the model codes in some way.

I live on a 3 acre lot. This meter pit is on the far border from my house, so water lines run a ways to point of use. We are in nebraska, so we do get winter.
I want to put in a pressure reduction valve. The main inside house **** off does not shut off my yard hydrant, so they must branch in the yard somewhere. My pressures on the house spigots, and the yard hydrant run around 90-100 psi consistently.
The only way to have control of all pressures is to put the regulator on after the meter. How would you guys put this on? The meter pit is relatively narrow, and the meter itself is 1.5 foot underground, and the outflow pipe will naturally be a bit deeper. Getting to this would be quite awkward.
I know not to use sweat fittings on buried copper. This is not technically buried, but is outdoors. Thoughts? Thanks!View attachment 46665
I would install the pressure reducing valve just for the house and install it in the main line before any other branch lines that serve fixtures and be sure to install in a serviceable location and set it to no more than 80psi.

That’s the basic answer and you could always consult the plumbing inspector for approval before you start work.

Thanks for the input folks. In the home regulator only seems to make the most sense. I recently had to replace my woodford yard hydrant, and I used the “yard hydrant made easy” attachments, which I like overall. What I don’t like is that they call for a 2 foot section of plastic between the underground rolled copper and the hydrant. I think I hooked it up pretty well, but of course I now have underground joints where I didn’t before, and I thought getting pressures down at the hydrant might be nice to prevent leaks in the long run. Thanks again!

Back