Plumbing question?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breuer18061

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and am currently an apprentice plumber just starting out. I am confused on the dwv system . I understand a waste stack is for drainage but I am very confused on the venting system. What is the difference between a vent stack? and stack vent? I am currently working at an apartment building of five floors and the amount of dwv stacks is confusing any help appreciated thanks

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

A vent stack is a stack that, at the point it is called a vent stack, is used only for venting purposes. Usually what a plumber calls a vent stack will carry through all the way out to open air, with other vents attaching
to it along the way.

A stack vent vents a stack, usually attaching to the waste stack at the last fixture branch, usually with a sanitary tee.

If you aren't confused yet, consider that a stack vent is a vent stack, but a vent stack doesn't have to be a stack vent.

I hope this helps, and I hope that you continue your quest for knowledge. Please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

A vent stack is a stack that, at the point it is called a vent stack, is used only for venting purposes. Usually what a plumber calls a vent stack will carry through all the way out to open air, with other vents attaching
to it along the way.

A stack vent vents a stack, usually attaching to the waste stack at the last fixture branch, usually with a sanitary tee.

If you aren't confused yet, consider that a stack vent is a vent stack, but a vent stack doesn't have to be a stack vent.

I hope this helps, and I hope that you continue your quest for knowledge. Please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Thanks for the headache! :eek:

This is the best definition i could find..1. A vent stack is a vertical pipe parallel to the waste/soil stack to which each floor's vents are connected. The stack vent is the final portion of the waste/soil stack above the highest fixture. does that sound right (scratching my head)!

That would be a usable definition.

It is my understanding that the term "vent stack" does not HAVE to be used only to denote the main vent as in the definition you posted. Rather, it can be used to denote any vertical pipe that serves as a vent.

Latest posts

Back