Mysterious Tube coming in/out of pit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitrellim

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this extra tube is in my sump pit? It connects directly to the city water line, and it is presently turned off. If I turn it on, it just spits water into my pit. I presently have it off, and I am wondering why it was ever installed and what it does. I bought the house foreclosed, so no help there. Thanks. Here is a video link if you need to see it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r06us1qfc7zjjh1/20150715_112834.mp4?dl=0

Not sure can't really see it in the video.

First thing. You can't have a potable water supply directly connected to a drain.

I'm going to guess but that could be some sort of water powered sump ejector.
Possibly used when there is no electricity.
I am guessing that it uses a venturi with water to pump out the pit.
Do a web or image search for " venturi sump pump ".

The only time I ever used one was when I was in the US Navy.
Had a big one you can drop down in the bilges attached to a couple of fire hoses.

Mr_David is correct. The home probably froze or was vandalized prior to you moving in. That could just be a check valve leaking, if so replace it. Hard to tell in dark video.

I often install water actuated back-up sump pumps. Dependable and work when the power goes out during a storm. Very little maintenance required unlike battery back-ups.

Last edited:
Thanks much for both of the responses! I think you are correct. I have seen water powered pumps before, but they were always with a float. It appears this is manually switched. Thanks for the information!

Latest posts

Back