mechanical drain re-route

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mngreenguy

Reaction score
The previous owner moved the furnace and water heater and put a bathroom where mechanicals used to be. The only issue is he didn't plumb a drain, the solution was to run a garden hose through the wall into the shower which rotted and started to leak. :mad:

My ideas

1. Install a condensate pump, run pvc up through the ceiling and through the joists to the utility sink in the laundry room. Down side is the basement is finished an i would have to cut into the ceiling and through 12 joists.

2.Run pvc back through the wall where the garden hose was and tie into the sink drain rather than the shower. (i'm not sure if tying into the sink drain is possible.)

3. Run pvc back through the wall where the garden hose ran and dump into the shower. Downside is the water stains the tile and is ugly to look at.

Thanks for you help Nick.

I'm a little confused. What are you trying to accomplish? What fluids are you trying to pump out? Are you referring to toilet solids? What you are attempting I believe is completely against code. I apologize for sounding harsh, but my belief is to either do it right, or don't do it at all.

All things considered, I would tend more to running the pipe over to the utility sink in the basement. Code (and good practice) requires that when condensate drains are drained into the sanitary drain system, they are connected indirectly, meaning that there is an airgap between the end of the condensate drain pipe and the top rim of the fixture that it is draining into. This would be easiest to do properly and without being unsightly in the laundry room.

I would be very careful about cutting or drilling through joists, however. There are situations and locations where it is acceptable to do so, but I always let an engineer tell me when and where, and put his stamp on it.

Latest posts

Back