Is this emergency floor drain setup code compliant?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foplumbing

Reaction score
I want to prime the floor drain via a Lav, but i am not sure if the flow direction would be problematic...
Flow from lav leads northward, drops into EFD p-trap, makes a hard left westward, then taps into house drain that flows southward.

floor drain.png

Looks to me like if something past the P-trap causes a clog, whatever drains from Lav would wind up on the floor.

It would make sense if you were priming a trap it could only be clear water waste, a/c condensate,or something like that,I think anything else would create a sewer smell

Looks to me like if something past the P-trap causes a clog, whatever drains from Lav would wind up on the floor.
misunderstood this previously, wouldn't you just pop the drain cover from the EFD and snake it?
it goes directly to the 4" main house drain anyways

Last edited:
It would make sense if you were priming a trap it could only be clear water waste, a/c condensate,or something like that,I think anything else would create a sewer smell
The Lav supplied prime is new to the code (introduced 2021 IPC). I suppose since a lav is soapy greywater, they allow this now.

My issue is the amount of turns

Latest posts

Back