Do I need a water hammer arrestor?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeobravo320

Reaction score
I'm roughing in a basement shower/tub and have a Delta multichoice faucet. I read somewhere that I need to install water hammer arrestors so I bought 2 Sioux Chief AA mini resters and 2 copper t-fittings. The arrestors will have to be mounted vertically upside down since the supply lines come in from above. The issue is both arrestors are very loose in the fitting and I'm hesitant to solder them in for fear they will leak.

Are these things even required? Delta instructions mention nothing. I'd rather not put them in if not needed.

Thanks

Quickly closing faucets can cause a thud in some situations.
Never with Delta valves, because they are not that smooth closing.
We never use WHA except on Grohe individual volume control shutoffs with thermostatic mixing valves...and even then, we get some water hammer because the shock is extreme.
Don't bother on Delta.

Delta valves can also produce water hammer depending on how fast the user turns the faucet off.

Ask my kids…..then ask them what their dad does when I hear it. They slap the handle to the off position.

Pure savages….

We never use WHA except on Grohe individual volume control shutoffs with thermostatic mixing valves...and even then, we get some water hammer because the shock is extreme.
My Grohe 29142000 can be the Poster Boy for what Breplum said.

Even with arrestors, each volume control/shut off has a decided "Clunk" unless volume is turned low before pushing the button for off.

I would add an ell or do some minor replumb to use them if at all possible. In the long run they can actually help prevent leaks by stopping some of the pipe shock and fatigue. just saying

I'm also in the process of remodeling a bathroom and using a Delta valve. Has the consensus changed on this at all in terms of using arrestors? Yay or nay?

I wouldn’t use them just because I was installing a basement bathroom.

Back