Delta Trinsic 17 Series Hot and Cold Reversed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

output555

Reaction score
I know a similar problem has been posted many times here, but mine may be slightly different. I just installed the Delta Trinsic 17 2-handle shower faucet in my existing bathroom (built 1995) using a replacement cartridge recommend by Delta, model RP32104. My friend with considerable building experience, but necessarily plumbing-specific), did the installation with me following the instructions exactly. Everything works fine except Hot and Cold are reversed. I know the common solution is to reverse the orientation of the cartridge, but if I do this it will not fit into the preset notch in the brass valve barrel. Is it possible something else is causing this problem? And yes, the water lines are installed correctly. The previous shower faucet was also made by Delta (1500 Series).

Thanks for your guidance.

Attachments

• IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5073.jpg
    IMG_5073.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5062.jpg
    IMG_5062.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5071.jpg
    IMG_5071.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5057.jpg
    IMG_5057.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5060.jpg
    IMG_5060.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5067.jpg
    IMG_5067.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
On the black part of the cartridge that has teeth…..it’s stamped “ hot side “

Make sure that stamped print is on which ever side of the valve that’s fed hot water.

The inside parts can rotate inside the body of the cartridge.

If hot doesn’t flow first by installing the cartridge with the “ hot side “ stamped bring on the hot side……reverse the inside parts to be on the other side of the valve.

Second pic shows the square side of the bonnet that slips onto the square notch of the valve. The “ hot side “ is lined up with the square piece on the white bonnet.

First pic shows “ hot side “ inside the bonnet on the side without the square notch.0C458E46-BDD6-4B42-A9D3-5A7D8C90BBF0.jpeg

Attachments

• 2510ED57-9CA0-4678-8150-6F2CA651AC99.jpeg
    2510ED57-9CA0-4678-8150-6F2CA651AC99.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 47FD1262-0F05-49C2-9B9C-8D5B157190E9.jpeg
    47FD1262-0F05-49C2-9B9C-8D5B157190E9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
So cold water should flow first in one of those two orientations.

The white part of the cartridge can only be installed one way. The black portion can be flipped…….

The inside parts can rotate inside the body of the cartridge.

If hot doesn’t flow first by installing the cartridge with the “ hot side “ stamped bring on the hot side……reverse the inside parts to be on the other side of the valve.

Second pic shows the square side of the bonnet that slips onto the square notch of the valve. The “ hot side “ is lined up with the square piece on the white bonnet.

First pic shows “ hot side “ inside the bonnet on the side without the square notch.View attachment 36340
Thanks for the information and the photos. From what I understand you're saying, I should line up the the two notches on the top white piece (the bonnet) with the "Hot Side" (black) indicator, as in your photo #2 (red circle, yellow circle). Once done, I should insert the cartridge in the brass valve sleeve lined up with the two water line holes in the rear. Correct?

I. too, have heard the two pieces can come misaligned from the company.

So cold water should flow first in one of those two orientations.

The white part of the cartridge can only be installed one way. The black portion can be flipped…….
I reinstalled the cartridge, making sure the Hot Side was on the left. The problem remained. Are you saying I should flip the black part (Hot Side) over to the right side of the cartridge?

I reinstalled the cartridge, making sure the Hot Side was on the left. The problem remained. Are you saying I should flip the black part (Hot Side) over to the right side of the cartridge?
Yes, flip it and it should work for you.

Turn the Inside part, the black part 180 degrees so the “ hot side “ is facing the other way.

Yes, flip it and it should work for you.

Turn the Inside part, the black part 180 degrees so the “ hot side “ is facing the other way.
Thanks for your help, TwoWax! The trick was reversing the Hot Side from left to right. All is good now. Delta, bless their hearts, is sending me a free replacement as they consider the current one defective. That's excellent, old-school customer service.

Latest posts

Back