Clogged vent pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

res428

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a clogged vent pipe on the roof leading out from the bathroom. Plumber sent a camera in and found leaves and debris about 3 feet in. (See picture attached)

He didn’t want to push it through in case it might clog up the line further down. Suggested having someone come to suck it all out. But I can’t seem to find anyone who will do this (tried vent cleaner, gutter cleaner). One person said they would do it for minimum $800 by cutting out the clogged piece. Seemed excessive and unnecessary. Trying to unclog it myself. Any suggestions for a diy method? I imagine I need some sort of relatively inexpensive camera scope and some
Sort of powerful suction or vacuum. Any and all tips appreciated. Or, if not a possible DIY, any suggestions ehat type of work I can call to do this, and what it should cost? I’m assuming with the right tools, it’s a 5 minute fix. Thx!!

Attachments

• D1CFB964-9051-4718-B3B4-F4503E048C15.jpeg
    D1CFB964-9051-4718-B3B4-F4503E048C15.jpeg
    779.8 KB · Views: 0
What size pipe? If straight vertical section, I'd say some pokey metal to loosen layers and a good shop vac. (which you could rent if no neighbors have one to borrow).

Straight down. But I’m wondering if that might send it down and into the line.

This is what I would try.

Go to HD, Lowes, Menards, or whatever big box hardware store is in the area and buy a piece of rigid plastic pipe which will fit inside that vent to the needed depth, but as wide as possible. ($10?) Also buy or rent a shop vac, and an adapter ($10?) from the vac to that pipe. Predrill two holes on opposite sides of the pipe and put in some long screws near the adapter end, leaving 5 feet or so of pipe below, so that there is absolutely no way you can drop the plastic pipe down the hole even if it falls off the vacuum adapter. Similarly put another couple of pointy end screws through the pipe near its sucking end, heads flush and pointy ends poking out of the "mouth" slightly, like 1/4" to 1/2" of an inch, with the points facing inwards. You should be able to stir up the plug gently with the "teeth", by rotating the pipe while at the same time sucking up anything that comes loose. Honestly, I would try it without the teeth first, since the vacuum and pipe alone might be sufficient. Depends on how compressed/stuck together that mass is. Check the vacuum of the pipe with the shop vac before starting. If there isn't enough suction to pick up a leaf off of the ground then you need to try a smaller pipe, or try some other method.

Pretty sure that no matter what method you use some of that plug is going to fall down the pipe though. So have a hose ready to try to wash it all through.

Kind of surprised a plumber didn't suggest just putting a rooter down the vent hole. The blade should easily cut that plug to pieces and even if the chunks fall further in, they could just continue to clean the line all the way out. Should have been on the order of $100-$200.

This goes into the drain, yes? And the drains are larger than the vents? So even if you just broke it up, it'd all just go into the septic system or sewer, no? Get a small dowel and break it up and flush it down. #IANAP

The one person who said they would do it, said they would only cut it out of the attic to the tune of $800. No thanks. Plumber said there’s a concern that it could clog if we just push it down. It goes from the vent pipe down through a basement toilet pipe, and out the main line into the street.

The one person who said they would do it, said they would only cut it out of the attic to the tune of $800. No thanks. Plumber said there’s a concern that it could clog if we just push it down. It goes from the vent pipe down through a basement toilet pipe, and out the main line into the street.
Sounds like you’re looking for a magic pill to solve your problem. That doesn’t exist. Bite the bullet and try something then you can deal with what happens next.

Shopvac if it will reach sounds like a plausible idea to me. But I'm no expert.

We had a guy with a walnut tree over his roof. 2.5" diameter walnut fruit dropped into his 3" vent like a perfect hole in one. Stuck at the 45 degree offset between floors. $1600. to cut the plaster and lath wall and rebuild the stack.
Honestly yours sounds like a an easy one.
Shop vac with extension prolly do it, just duct tape a 5' section of 1" PVC to the vacuum hose. That will seal the gap between the PVC and the vac hose, as well as keep it from falling in.
Best of luck -
Tim Whistler

Back