AO Smith Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eweneek1

Reaction score
Have a very old AO Smith water heater model #FGR 40 224. Having trouble with the pilot light staying lit and replaced the thermocouple which didn't solve the problem. Pilot light will still not stay lit. If I wait for the water in the tank to cool eventually I can light the pilot and the burner will light and reheat the water. If I need to replace the thermostat might as well bet a new water heater.

Here is the serial number, GJ94-2024386-R99. No way it can be 30 years old!
You said it was "very old". I would classify a water heater that is 15 years old as "old", and anything more than that as "very old".

Just wondering why you say that there is "no way it can be 30 years old"?

The industry changed the way water heaters were manufactured in 2002.

Heaters prior to a certain date in 2002 were open burner type just like they had been made for yrs.

After a certain date in 2002 they were made with a sealed burner.

The sealed burner was to prevent flammable vapors from igniting outside the burn chamber due to the water heaters open flame.

The water heater pictured above is open burner, so I know it’s most likely over 22 yrs old. Based off the serial number it’s most likely 30 yrs old.

I once did a presentation to kindergartners on this subject. They threw snacks at me and called me old.

Back