Adjusting scald control

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magilla

Reaction score
Hello,
We bought a co-op apartment in a 24 unit building this past summer and it has a tankless hot water box on the wall under the kitchen sink. There is a Delta single arm shower in the bathroom and the shower water is just not getting hot enough despite the heating box being set to the max.

I would like to adjust this scald guard to get max hot water. We have one tiny bathroom here and no kids so we have no need for a scald guard. The problem I have is that there is no way to shut off the water to the shower in our apartment.

I think there is a main line in the basement but turning off the water to 23 other apartments seems to be a recipe for having extremely unhappy neighbors. Is that my only option? I have watched several You Tube videos on adjusting this scald guard but oddly, none of the ones I have watched say "Make sure you turn off the water supply" so I'm not sure if that is necessary to make this adjustment.

Thanks very much for any guidance.

different valves have different adjustments.. just like a VW is not a Ford

do yo know your valve name?

some valves, have valves behind the face plate, that you turn off using a screw driver.

some you can adjust without turning off the water.

take the handle off, behind it "might" be a wheel, you pull off turn and put back

post picture and name of valve

I have no idea what valve we have or what that means. It's a Delta Monitor handle and was brand new when we moved in. There is no allen screw anywhere on the hot/cold dial like I've seen on some of them in videos. I think you just pop off the cover. I'm afraid to try it though without some guidance. I don't have the facility here to put up a picture but it is similar to this one:

http://www.guillens.com/images/DEL/350/DEL1738.jpg

I watched all of the videos on the Delta site, a few others on You Tube and have read more web site Q&A than I can even remember. I have searched this forum and read many threads that address scald controls on these Deltas. I have seen every variation of scald protector and know how each of them are adjusted. What I cannot get is a straight answer to the following question:

Do I have to turn off the water supply to the whole apartment in order to adjust this scald control thing?

Thanks for the reply!

I just took the cover off, unscrewed the first piece and see that the scald disk is already set to the hottest possible. That's unfortunate because I guess the problem is that our tankless hot water heater is unable to heat the water beyond warm because it's so cold here and the water coming out of the tap on the cold side is just freezing.

Latest posts

Back