Can't remove knob as the screw appears to be stuck

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcnama4

Reaction score
faucet_w_stripped_screw.png

I stripped the screw and likely over-torqued the screw and it probably cracked the cartridge inside (we had hot water then we didn't). I used my stripped screw extractor bits and I can grab the screw but it just turns and turns without ever releasing from the cartridge. Looking at new knobs, it looks like the screw comes with a screw locker on it... could be my issue but not sure how to address it.

Is the only solution to cut off the screw head? Is cutting off the handle a better idea?

there is no right answer at this point. drill out: no harm in trying
cut handle: who knows.
one idea just now: i'd use a mini grinder cutoff blade and make a notch to then try a flat screwdriver

The handles cracked where the cartridge stem is and will need to be replaced. Since it needs replaced I would cut or break the handle of and remove the screw with pliers. @breplum has some good ideas too.

I’d hit it with a hammer and have a new cartridge and handle ready to install.

I'd be concerned damaging the valve body with a hammer. I like the dissection method myself.
I was being a little sarcastic but I’d break it off. You wouldn’t damage the valve body though, the handle is hard plastic.

If you've ever seen me swing a hammer and all the blood blisters on my thumb, you will realize why I avoid using a hammer at all costs.

there is no right answer at this point. drill out: no harm in trying
cut handle: who knows.
one idea just now: i'd use a mini grinder cutoff blade and make a notch to then try a flat screwdriver
Ended up drilling out the screw carefully. Head fell off when I got deep enough and the rest came off. Thanks!

The handles cracked where the cartridge stem is and will need to be replaced. Since it needs replaced I would cut or break the handle of and remove the screw with pliers. @breplum has some good ideas too.
How the hell did you know that!?!? After drilling out the screw holding the handle I was able to get the knob off and sure enough it was cracked. But I couldn't tell until I saw the inside.

Really appreciate the help tips.

The plate says Moentrol and it matches the diagrams I'm seeing online... is that a moen 1225 cartridge?

How the hell did you know that!?!? After drilling out the screw holding the handle I was able to get the knob off and sure enough it was cracked. But I couldn't tell until I saw the inside.

Really appreciate the help tips.

The plate says Moentrol and it matches the diagrams I'm seeing online... is that a moen 1225 cartridge?
The handle is keyed to the shape of the stem. You said the screw kept turning and turning with out loosening, so that led me to believe that the stem was spinning with the screw and that meant the handle was cracked. Plus I've experienced that a few times.

Yes 1225 is the correct cartridge. What is the symptom you're experiencing?

The handle is keyed to the shape of the stem. You said the screw kept turning and turning with out loosening, so that led me to believe that the stem was spinning with the screw and that meant the handle was cracked. Plus I've experienced that a few times.

Yes 1225 is the correct cartridge. What is the symptom you're experiencing?
Well, it started off as a simple exploratory thing. I have a leak (thread on that) from the shower into the ceiling in our kitchen below. I had replaced the shower head a while ago and was wondering if I rotated the pipe from the wall too much and broke the seal which caused the leak.

The answer is no but in trying to take of the trim plate around the handle to see I broke the faucet handle and potentially damaged the cartridge, hence this thread.

In terms of symptoms, we no longer get hot water from the shower. I assumed I cracked something within the cartridge, but based on your comments is it possible it is just the handle? Is it worth replacing both at this point because everything is apart/open?

OK, good info. the temperature problem is why I was curious. The MoenTrol valve has a separate pressure balancing spool that over time and depending on water quality can get stuck and not work right. I believe it's part #1423. With the faceplate off it is the large slotted screw looking piece. If the faucet is not dripping when off the cartridge should be fine, but I always replace at the same time since I'm there anyway and don't want callbacks.

I replaced the cartridge and knob while I had everything open. Hot water is back, so general success.

Back